Facebook Comments Health Ministry officials are on the lookout for any possible cases of the chikungunya virus in the country. An outbreak occurred on islands in the Caribbean last December, the first report of the disease in the Americas.The virus shares many of the same symptoms as dengue: high fever, headaches, muscle and joint pains, nausea and rashes. However, the mortality rate is much lower than dengue, a disease that Costa Rica saw in record numbers last year.Chikungunya originated in Tanzania in 1952, according to the World Health Organization’s fact sheet on the disease. The first confirmed case in the Americas occurred in the Caribbean on Dec. 6, according to the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). At the time, the outbreak prompted a health alert for the entire continent. In South America there have been seven confirmed cases, all of them in French Guiana, an overseas territory of France.“Just like dengue, [this virus] is transmitted by the bite of an Aedes aegypti mosquito, but it also can be carried by other mosquitoes,” said Roberto Castro of the Health Ministry’s Health Monitoring Unit.After an infected mosquito transmits the disease to a human, the illness’ onset will occur usually 3-7 days later. The symptoms can be unyielding.“Chikungunya does not often result in death, but the joint pain may last for months or years and may become a cause of chronic pain and disability,” the PAHO report explains.Castro confirmed that health personnel in the country are now on high alert in regards to the disease, and are aware of all the information needed to detect potential cases of infection. Currently there is no specific treatment nor any vaccine to prevent it, other than protect yourself from mosquito bites. Related posts:Costa Rica Health Ministry confirms first case of chikungunya virus Health officials testing first two cases of Ticos who could have the chikungunya virus Costa Rican health officials seek preventive alert for chikungunya virus Double jeopardy: Costa Rica’s Health Ministry reports 2 people were infected with both dengue and chikungunya
The 25th annual Asia-Pacific Incentives & Meetings Expo (AIME) officially opened its doors on Tuesday 21 February 2017, bringing together event professionals from over 20 countries on an exciting exhibition show floor.Karen Bolinger, CEO Melbourne Convention Bureau, said that this anniversary is a great representation of the strength, creativity and diversity of the business events industry.To celebrate the 25th anniversary, AIME launched two awards this year recognising exceptional achievement by industry members.The winner of the Rising Star award, which recognises upcoming business event talent, was Jessica Abbey, Leverage Marketing and Events.The Lifetime Achievement award was given to Sue Calwell, who as an industry stalwart is celebrated for her dedication and commitment to the business events industry over several years.The AIME Knowledge Program by Saxton Speakers Bureau provided insights into the future of the industry with high-calibre speakers such as Ita Buttrose, Marita Cheng, Chris Riddell, Kirk Pengilly, Michael Carr-Gregg, Cosentino, Holly Ransom, Brad Seymour and Andre Eikmeier.Other highlights from the show floor included a visit from Matt Wright the Outback Wrangler, who visited the Northern Territory stand from 3pm on Tuesday to discuss the appeal of the NT for business travellers.At the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre (MCEC) on Monday 20 February 2017, AIME announced new research and insights driving the meetings and events industry.The Right Honourable Robert Doyle, Lord Mayor of Melbourne, remarked on Melbourne’s position as Australia’s sporting capital and the world’s most liveable city for the sixth consecutive year, plus the city’s friendly and down to earth charm.Karen Bolinger, CEO, Melbourne Convention Bureau outlined the future of the meetings and events industry in Australia, sharing findings from The Future of Business Meetings Industry Report by McCrindle on the expectations and changes to the industry.