first_imgThe tourism boom in London continued during the second quarter of 2015, with the city welcoming a record 5.1 million international visitors between April and June this year, six percent more than the same period last year.Tourist spending during the same period was £3.2 billion, an increase of eight percent when compared with the second quarter of 2014. Over the past five years (2009-2014), the number of overseas visitors coming to London has risen by 22.5%.The national picture is also positive with 9.9 million international visitors coming to the UK between April and June 2015, five percent more than the same period last year. Over half of these international visits to the UK were to London. Tourist spending across the UK over this period was £5.8 billion, a seven percent increase compared with the second quarter of 2014.The latest figures comes after a record-breaking 2014 when 17.4 million overseas visitors travelled to London, spending £11.8 billion across the city’s restaurants, hotels and attractions. Earlier this year the capital was named the most popular tourist destination in the world for the second year running by MasterCard in the Global Cities Index report. According to the report, London is forecasted to host 18.82 million international visitors in 2015 putting the city ahead of Bangkok and Paris.Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, welcomed the figures and said: “These numbers prove that our great capital is without a doubt the best place on earth to visit. People come from around the world to experience our unique mix of history, culture, shopping and world-class events. With our spectacular autumn season of culture and the Rugby World Cup having put London in the spotlight once again, we’ll undoubtedly be welcoming even more tourists to London in the months ahead.”last_img

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. READ: Pelicans add free agent Tony AllenThe 6-foot-8 Cunningham spent the past three seasons in New Orleans, where he averaged 6.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in about 25 minutes per game last season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogThe 30-year-old Cunningham has spent eight seasons in the NBA, beginning with Portland, which selected him in the second round of the 2009 draft out of Villanova.Cunningham could start for New Orleans at small forward in a lineup that would feature DeMarcus Cousins at center, Anthony Davis at power forward, Rajon Rondo at point guard and Jrue Holiday at shooting guard. LATEST STORIES DAY6 is for everybody View comments How to help the Taal evacuees In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up Dante Cunningham. APA person familiar with the situation says the New Orleans Pelicans and forward Dante Cunningham have agreed on a one-year contract worth $2.3 million.The person spoke to The Associated Press on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the agreement, which was first reported by Yahoo, has not been announced.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Nextcenter_img Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Man testifies in trial over NBA players assault It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacsonlast_img

first_imgBen Mbala Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netOnly the UAAP Board of Trustees (BOT)—made up of the eight presidents of member schools—has the power to revise or suspend eligibility rules including the Seven Year Out of High School policy that will prevent La Salle’s two time Most Valuable Player Ben Mbala from seeing action in Season 81 next year.La Salle remained mum on the case of Mbala on Wednesday as efforts to reach officials proved futile, although coach Aldin Ayo had earlier announced he expects the Cameroonian big man to return next season when they try to regain the crown won by rival Ateneo on Sunday in a thrilling three-game series.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Another source noted the case of former Adamson player Austin Manyara a few seasons ago when the Kenyan center was already listed in the Falcons lineup, before the team learned that season was his eighth school year after high school. It prompted team officials to remove him from the roster with the tournament about to begin.Following the league’s reorganization at the start of the season, the UAAP BOT will have the final decisions on whether or not the suspension of the rule is extended or revised, unlike before when the UAAP Board, now known as the Board of Managing Directors (BMD), made such decisions.“La Salle has the option to bring up the Seven Year Out Of High School rule when the BMD holds its workshop in January, but the final decision will come from the BOT,” the source added.ADVERTISEMENT It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson View comments Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Suspended for Seasons 79 and 80 in the absence of new recruits due to the K-12 program, the Seven Year Out of High School rule will be implemented again next season.“College freshmen will return next school year (Season 81), so we will all have enough recruits unlike the past two years due to Grade 11 and Grade 12,” said a reliable source, a school official. “So the seven year rule will take effect again as agreed in 2016.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSBrian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defenseThe same source said the “ground rules” which Ayo cited as the reason Mbala could play next season only refer to the conduct of UAAP sports events.“They do not determine which players are eligible to play,” said the source. Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny PH Azkals suffer embarrassing loss to Timor Lestelast_img

first_imgThe National Elections Commission (NEC) Voter Roll Update is not going as smoothly as anticipated in Gbarpolu County because those that the exercise is intended for are busy attending to mining and farming activities.The NEC, prior to the commencement of the registration process was looking forward to signing up tens of thousands of young people, many of whom would be first time voters in the October 14, 2014 Special Senatorial election.  However, to their surprise the young people in that part of the country seem to be casting an economic vote, mining gold and diamonds, rather than taking advantage of the VRU exercise.NEC’s Gbarpolu Magistrate, Duke Sarnor, said most of the young people in the county are wholly and solely involved in mining activities. “This seems to be an obstacle to the process.”According to magistrate Sarnor, the exercise is not proceeding as expected because the young people are not responding positively. “They are not coming out to register because almost all of them are involved in gold and diamond mining and this is an embarrassment because we don’t have the time to interact with the youths.”NEC has embarked on a process to register about 250,000 voters, with primary attention to be given first time voters. First time voters include those who were below the voting age of 18 prior to the 2011 general and Presidential elections.Speaking to reporters in Bopolu, Mr. Sarnor indicated, that the VRU process will not be a success if the present trend continues. “There are more young people in this place, but they are not taking advantage of the exercise.  They are keeping themselves too busy and this is a problem.”He also made mention of some level of difficulties being faced by the VRU team due to inaccessibility. He complained of logistical support, most especially means of transport.The NEC magistrate made reference to Henry Town as part of Bopolu which has low amount of participation in the VRU process.“Our staff made it to go in those inaccessible areas. What they do is drive to the end of the roads, get down and used porters to help them through.”The local NEC official also confirm of receiving relative low number of registrations from Henry Town.  He said the cause of the low numbers from first time voters in that part of Liberia is because both the parents and children leave the community to get to various mining sites early in the morning.“In order to help our people be part of the VRU process we included civil educators to help them by performing dramas and speaking other dialects that they understand.  Thank God that the process is going on and we can’t have the people blame anyone because this is Liberia first time carry on this process,” said Mr. Sarnor. Some youth have voiced out their preference for minding their own business, mining minerals, rather than minding politicians who will fail them.“I’m not going to be part of this process because the people we vote for are not working for the good of their citizens,” said 19 year-old Emmanuel Kamara, “so I rather go to the diamond mine early in the morning to look for my daily bread then to waste my time.”Would-be first-time voter Roseline Hinneh, 18, of Bopolu sees it differently, however.  “I registered to be part of decision making in my country because it’s my right as a citizen. I have noticed that over the years I was stopped by NEC staff from being part of the process because I did not reach the actual age, now that I am of age, I will vote the person with a heart for his people, with my voting card.” Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *