Scientists seek rare species survivors amid Australia flames Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Pacquiao (59-7-2, 38 KOs) refuted Matthysse’s observation, saying that he has a lot more to give in the ring.“That is what I am trying to prove this coming July 15, that Manny Pacquiao is not yet done in boxing,” said Pacquiao, who hasn’t fought since losing his World Boxing Organization welterweight title to Australian Jeff Horn in Brisbane last year.Though he hasn’t knocked out an opponent since 2009, when he stopped Miguel Cotto in the 12th round, Pacquiao said if he sees a chance to finish Matthysse, he’ll do so to prove that he’s still capable of taking on the current toasts of boxing like Ukrainian WBO super featherweight titlist Vasyl Lomachenko.Pacquiao and Matthysse will leave for Kuala Lumpur Friday night, where they will hold another press conference for the fight card jointly undertaken by Pacquiao’s MP Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.Asked about the status of his longtime coach Freddie Roach, Pacquiao said he’s leaving the door open for the Hall of Famer.ADVERTISEMENT In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award For the Matthysse fight, however, it looks like Buboy Fernandez has the inside track to be the main corner man. —ROY LUARCASports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jo Koy draws ire for cutting through Cebu City traffic with ‘wang-wang’ Philippine senator and boxing hero Manny Pacquiao, left, and Argentine WBA welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse pose for photographers during a press conference in Manila, Philippines on Wednesday, April 18, 2018. The two are scheduled to fight on July 15, in a World Boxing Association welterweight title fight in Malaysia. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)He still holds Manny Pacquiao in high esteem, but Lucas Matthysse thinks the Filipino ring icon is no longer the fearsome warrior that sowed terror in the ring the past decade.And as such, the Argentine feels confident that he will emerge victorious when they tangle for his World Boxing Association welterweight crown on July 15 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ P16.5-M worth of aid provided for Taal Volcano eruption victims — NDRRMC Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Truck driver killed in Davao del Sur road accident ‘Stop romanticizing Pinoy resilience’ Fact is, Matthysse intends to send Pacquiao into retirement by knocking out the 39-year-old eight-division world champion.“Honestly, he’s still very good, but since the knockout of (Juan Manuel) Marquez,” I think he’s not the same fighter anymore,” said Matthysse during Wednesday’s press conference launching “Champion vs Champion” at City of Dreams Manila.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownClad in a Barong Tagalog, the 35-year-old Matthysse, regarded as a knockout artist, refused to be cowed by Pacquiao’s sterling credentials as multiple champion, three-time Fighter of the Year, and Fighter of the Decade.“Sure, Manny has won so many titles… I (have) only won one title. I am not going to give it up. I will die for it if I have to,” said Matthysse, who has stopped 36 of his 39 victims against only four losses. “I will defend this title to the death.” LATEST STORIES Verdadero Palaro’s fastest; Calabarzon sweeps 100 meters Green group flags ‘overkill’ use of plastic banderitas in Manila Sto. Niño feast View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Tom Eric Vraalsen, the Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for Humanitarian Affairs in Sudan, is working with UN staff to try to re-start talks on establishing a humanitarian ceasefire in Darfur.UN agencies have received numerous reports of systematic, deliberate attacks against civilians in Darfur since fighting erupted a year ago between the Sudanese Government, rebel groups including the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA), and local militia. Those reports include descriptions of murders, abductions, the burning of villages and the looting of property,More than 110,000 Sudanese have fled across the border into neighbouring Chad to escape the conflict, while another 700,000 people are internally displaced within Darfur, beyond the reach of humanitarian officials because of the continuing fighting.UN spokesman Fred Eckhard told reporters in New York today that while access for relief agencies “has improved slightly,” fighting still constrains their work. But he said the prospects for the resumption of ceasefire talks are good.
admin | email@example.com
The Commander-in-Chief (C-I-C) of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL), President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, has decorated Att’y. Samuel Kofi Woods, II, and several international personalities within the security sector for their individual and collective distinguished service to the country as she endeavors to remake the sector.Those honored on February 11 Armed Forces Day by President Sirleaf included the keynote speaker of the day, Atty. Samuel Kofi Woods, Major General Julius Facki Oketta, Head of Mission, Africa Union Support to Ebola Outbreak in West Africa (AUSEOWA) and Major General Gary Volesky, Commander, Joint Task Force-Operation United Assistance (JTF-OUA). Others are Major General Darryl A Williams, first Commander of JTF-OUA, Lieutenant Colonel Abubakri Sadique Mohammed, a committed, dedicated and professional military officer of the Ghana Armed Forces with over 34 years of military experience, and Lieutenant Colonel Kennedy Chuwuemeka Okoro, a committed, dedicated and professional military officer of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and a Barrister-at-Law of the Nigerian Armed Forces.According to C-I-C Sirleaf, the honorees’ services to Liberia bring credit upon themselves, their country and to our nation as well as to the men and women of the Armed Forces of Liberia who continue to work tirelessly in rebuilding Liberia, including the construction of roads.In remarks on behalf of all DSO recipients, Major General Julius Facki Oketta said their being decorated was wonderful and sincerely accepted.Receiving the awards from the Commander-In-Chief of Liberia’s Armed Forces meant a lot to each of them, he declared.“We the officers and citizens receive this honor with great gratitude and humility. These awards speak for commitment in serving our people as we contribute in eradicating Ebola,” Gen. Oketta said.He explained that the awards do not belong to the honorees, but to the Africa Union, AUSEOWA, the people of Liberia, the United Nations family in every corner of the globe who made contributions, sacrifices and in many instances risked or gave their lives to support the eradication of Ebola by promoting solidarity as well as voluntary services for the common good of humanity.Gen. Oketta said the awards would enforce their belief that all honorees can pray and work better than they have done so far in combating the deadly Ebola virus and other services.He emphasized that the issues of solidarity, capacity, preparedness, responsibility and sacrifice have all been geared toward moving the country and Africa forward.The celebration of the 58th anniversary of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) was also witnessed by senior government officials, including Vice President Joseph N. Boakai, House Speaker Alex Tyler, Chief Justice Francis S. Korkpor, and Dr. Amos Sawyer of the Governance Commission and Heads of all security agencies.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
…after farmlands bulldozedFarmers who operate in the vicinity of the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) office at Fort Wellington late last week picketed the Regional Executive Officer (REO) claiming discrimination.Their contention is that the REO, Ovid Morrison, has allegedly caused the destruction of their crops. The farmers were forced to take to the picket line after some of their crops were destroyed by actions taken by Morrison.Morrison had ordered those farmers to remove so that the area could be developed into model farms. It was on October 27, 2016, that notices were placed at the entrances to the farms situated at Naarstigheid and Catherine’s Lust, denying them access to the farmlands.Some of the farmers on the picket lineIn April last year, the farmers held a protest demanding that they be able to continue farming. On Wednesday, another protest was held outside the REO’s office at Fort Wellington; this time they upped the pressure, calling for his removal.According to the farmers, on Tuesday last, an excavator went to their farms at Catherine’s Lust and Naarstigheid, destroying some of their crops. The farmers occupy 50 acres of land on which they cultivate cash crop, fruits and rear livestock. Some of them stated that they have been cultivating the land since the previous Administration was in office.Farmers protesting the removal of the REOThe farmers are from Bath Settlement, Experiment, Naarstigheid, Fort Wellington and Hopetown.However, the dissatisfied farmers are from the village of Bath Settlement, which is considered a People’s Progressive Party (PPP) stronghold, while the farmers who live at Hopetown remain untroubled.From the picket line, they made it clear that they were being discriminated against. The farmers noted that farming has been providing employment to a lot of young people in the region and this move by the REO will render many of them jobless.At a press conference held on April 10, 2017, the REO had said he was developing an economic agriculture model farm to which approval was granted by the RDC. However, Region Chairman Vickchand Ramphal toldthis publication that this was not the case.A section of the farmland that was destroyed“When the Regional Executive Officer would have served notices to farmers back in 2017, I made it very clear that the Regional Democratic Council of Region Number Five did not make any such decision to remove those farmers from that plot of land at Naarstigheid. Further I instructed the REO not to remove any of those farmers from the land there because all of them depend heavily on the land to provide for their families.”Meanwhile, at another press conference held on January 9, 2018, Morrison told reporters that the model farm will look at factors such as land selection, crop cultivation, and principles of crop rotation, as well as waste consolidation but the Chairman holds out that it is a political move to displace the farmers.On this note, the Regional Chairman in an invited comment said the REO’s way of behaviour could best be described as dictatorial. “Not only in this issue here with farmers but also with the security guards but other issues that would have arisen in this region.”Recently the REO chased a group of guards out of the RDC Boardroom. The guards had gone to the Regional Chairman to discuss the non-payment of salaries from the company which has been contracted to provide security to Government buildings in the region.During the protest, the REO chased guards out of the company’s office in the RDC compound. The security firm had been using a section of a building in the RDC compound as its local office.Ramphal said he has penned a letter to President David Granger as it relates to Morrison’s actions and issues affecting the region.