During a visit yesterday to Uganda’s capital Kampala, William Lacy Swing, head of the UN Organization Mission in the DRC (MONUC) met with Vice-President Gilbert Bukenya and updated the Ugandan Government on recent developments in the DRC peace process. He also confirmed that the transitional government effectively “took off,” saying progress had been noted and that a meeting of armed groups operating in Ituri is scheduled for next Thursday in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa.Mr. Swing also announced that MONUC troops would be ready to take over from the multinational force due to withdraw from Bunia on 1 September. He thanked Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni for the facilities availed to the mission’s logistic base in Entebbe in the framework of its operations in Ituri. He also pointed out that his visit in Uganda coincided with the signing of the State of Forces Agreement between Uganda and MONUC, which officially authorizes the opening of a MONUC office in Kampala.

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgThe Liberian Government has announced that Nimba County will bear the brunt of the actions of some of its citizens, who recently allegedly looted and destroyed properties of ArcelorMittal, as well as some public infrastructures in the county.Some residents of the county, mainly youths, early last week, put the safety and security of the main mining facility of ArcelorMittal, located in Tokadeh, Nimba County under attack, and held the company’s staff, contractors and employees hostage for hours without food or water.Offices were vandalized and mining equipment, vehicles, construction materials, office supplies and buildings were destroyed or looted. Law enforcement officers, who were attempting to restore calm to the mining area and surrounding communities were shot at and injured, the government said.In a strongl.y-worded address on the violent protest that saw the loss of millions of dollars worth of property belonging to both the government and the company, President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf said government will undertake the repair of the damaged roads and bridges; but the costs will be deducted from funds directly allocated for the development of the county. This means that the funds will be taken from the Nimba County Social Development Funds. This is fund set aside for developments initiatives in the county and it comes from ArcelorMittal as part of its constribution to the county.The Liberian leader also indicated that the costs to repair the damage and replace the properties destroyed at ArcelorMittal, when determined, will be discussed between the company and the government. She further noted that the direct and associated damage done to ArcelorMittal facilities in Nimba County is more than an attack on a private company; rather they are attacks on the economy and the future of this country.President Sirleaf addressed the nation at a press conference on Thursday July 10, 2014 held in the foyer of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Present at the conference also were, Senate Pro-Temp Gbehzohngar Milton Findley, House Speaker Alex Tyler, Internal Affairs Minister Morris Dukuly and Information Minister Lewis Garsaydee Browne.President Sirleaf said: “Our collective response must be decisive, immediate and forceful.” She promised that all accused of participating in these destructions will have their full day in court as quickly as possible; and those found guilty will face the “fullest penalties” imposed by the law.The Liberian President, on behalf of the Government and people of Liberia, extended profound regrets to the ArcelorMittal family and all those who were made to endure the precarious infringement of the country’s peace and security. She revealed that the attacks at Tokadeh, in Nimba County are callous reminders of the consequences of the abuse of freedoms. “As we have seen in Tokadeh, and as it appears to be springing up elsewhere in the country including concession areas, the exercise of freedom without the associated responsibility leads to anarchy,” President Sirleaf pointed out, adding that anarchy anywhere in the country undermines the collective progress made, which the Government cannot permit to happen.The Liberian President has also announced that a Board of Inquiry will be appointed shortly to undertake a detailed investigation into the root and other causes associated with the fracas, as well as recommend further actions to ensure that such attacks are never repeated anywhere in Liberia. She said the Board will be chaired by a prominent counselor and will include eminent lawyers and citizens. “The Liberian Government is absolutely resolved that wherever and by whomever, the unlawful incitement of the public to violence will be dutifully punished according to law,” she said. She thanked ArcelorMittal for resuming mining production and congratulated the Liberia National Police for the swift and professional manner in which security and calmness was restored.She also commended the local chiefs and community leaders, including the Nimba Legislative Caucus, whom she said, cooperated with the LNP in encouraging those who fled into the bushes to return home; those who perpetrated these attacks to turn themselves in and surrender to the police; and assisting in the retrieval of looted items.Meanwhile, President Sirleaf has, with immediate effect, placed a moratorium on the issuance and use of alluvial mining licenses and permits in Nimba County until the full effects and associated costs of ArcelorMittal’s operations are finally determined and known.Information Minister, Lewis Garsaydee Browne in an interview with press men after the President’s address, said the government’s decision to make Nimba take responsibility for its actions is not a way of punishing the county, especially when the acts were perpetrated by just a handful of people, but it is because the government is not prepared financially to undertake the costs.Minister Browne indicated that the presence of the Speaker and Senate Pro-Tempore at the Office of the President signals the importance that the government attaches to the Yekepa incident. He said all will be done to ensure that the perpetrators of the violence are brought to book.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

first_img1 month later…after mercury was found in waterwayAfter almost four weeks, the Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) announced its plans to reactivate a well in Port Kaituma, Region One (Barima-Waini) to provide a stable supply of water to residents, as it was related that those works have not yet been completed.This information was relayed by GWI’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) Leanna Bradshaw who indicated that the works are still in progress for the reactivation.These works were necessary after the presence of mercury was detected in the main source of water for residents – the Kaituma River. Samples were taken from different sections and sent to the Kaizen Environmental Services Laboratory in Trinidad and Tobago.As such, the first option was to drill a well in the area after it was realised that the main well at Turn Basin was not functioning. However, an inspection by engineers discovered a well at Citrus Grove, Port Kaituma, which had been out of operationGWI engineers examining the Port Kaituma wellfor a number of years.It was decided that the engineers would rehabilitate this well to supplement an existing one. This would entail a camera inspection, test pumping the well and determining an appropriately sized pump before it is connected to the distribution network.Furthermore, plans were also ongoing for the installation of additional storage tanks at the well site and the rehabilitation of another tank in the region. With this in place, the storage capacity is expected to increase to serve the entire community. The tanks will be connected to a distribution network that will be run to each household.Presently, residents have been accessing water directly from the well in the interim but due to climate change and other environmental challenges, the company has moved to drilling more wells in these areas, so as to ensure equal access to potable water year-round.last_img

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Women’s Soccer League hosted its season-opening Icebreaker tournament last weekend.In the competitive pool in which six teams were in contention, D&D defeated Prospect by the score of 3-2. In the recreational pool of eight teams, the Royal Rebels edged the GP Tornadoes 3-2.Tournament Director Kristen Danczak said,“It was a great weekend of soccer as everyone enjoyed themselves. I can’t complain about how things went for the first tournament of the year.”- Advertisement –last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *