first_img“We had three penalties in the first game against England and not many penalties against France last week, and all of a sudden both teams were penalised for a lot of things that other teams have been getting away with.”It’s our showpiece so we should be allowed to play footy. It was just a bit frustrating tonight because there were a lot of things in the play the ball area and a lot of stoppages around injuries that normally you wouldn’t see in our game so I’m a bit disappointed in that. “We’re trying to play attractive footy and showcase the skills of the players, and I thought that wasn’t allowed tonight.”Kangaroos skipper Cameron Smith said the team grew increasingly frustrated in the opening stanza due to the stop-start nature of the contest. “We came into the sheds and I could see the frustration on everyone’s faces. We just couldn’t get any roll on with the footy,” Smith said. “Defensively I was very happy with what we produced tonight, but we got frustrated and I think we went searching a little bit. We went searching for some points instead of just building pressure on them and getting the points on the board.” Tipped by many to run up a cricket score against the tournament minnows, the Aussies struggled for continuity in the first half, establishing a 10-0 lead at the break before they ran away with it in the final 10 minutes. While their opening game against England was allowed to flow by NRL referee Matt Cecchin, the same couldn’t be said on Saturday as Englishman James Child blew 21 penalties.The flow of the game wasn’t helped by 22 errors and several injury breaks, but Meninga’s biggest gripe was with the penalty count.  “It was a frustrating game…it was very slow,” he said after the comfortable win. “It was probably one of the slowest games that I’ve seen for a while. There were 21 penalties and there were a lot of stoppages. We want to see a good game of rugby league, don’t we, so we want to be allowed to play a bit more. last_img

admin | 3216976577@qq.com

Related Posts

first_imgSeveral bandits who reportedly posed as Police Officers executed a brazen robbery on a sand pit operated by Baskaran and Sons at Yarrowkabra, Linden-Soesdyke Highway after they assaulted the security guard on duty in the wee hours of Saturday.Based on reports received, the incident took place between 22:30h and 02:00h during which the bandits held the security guard at gunpoint and dealt him several blows to his body before escaping with over $6.1 million in items.According to reports received, the guard was in his hut when he was awakened by a loud banging on his door. After he enquired, he was told that it was the Police and that they were making routine checks. Thinking something was amiss, the security officer did not open the door, but soon after he heard the sound of an excavator starting up.Within a few minutes, the bucket of the excavator crashed into the hut thus forcing the security guard to try to run to safety. He was, however, captured by the bandits who started to hit him about his body. He reportedly fell to the ground and it was at this time, the men used duct tape to tie his hands and feet, and also gagged him.As he remained on the ground, a car entered the compound and two 12-volt excavator batters and a hydraulic pump were loaded into its trunk. The car then made its way out of the compound along with the armed men.The security guard managed to free himself and contacted his employers, who in turn contacted the Police. Statements were taken from the security guard. An investigation has been launched into the incident. No arrests have been made.last_img

first_imgThe Aptitude colt won the Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland in Lexington, Ky. on Oct. 7. “On paper, you’d have to say he’s the best we’ve got,” O’Neill said. O’Neill and owner Paul Reddam said they probably will send Great Hunter to Keeneland for his final Derby prep in the Blue Grass Stakes on April 14. Liquidity is scheduled to run in next Saturday’s Louisiana Derby and perhaps return here for the Santa Anita Derby on April 7, and Notional is penciled in for the Florida Derby on March 31. Cobalt Blue, owned by Merv Griffin, will run next in the San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita on March 17. Kip Deville, who gave jockey Richard Migliore and trainer Richard Dutrow their first Santa Anita stakes victories on opening day, helped the duo win its first Grade I race at the Arcadia track when the 4-year-old son of Kipling captured the $300,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile by a neck over Bayeux. It was a nose back to third-place finisher Silent Name. Trainer Todd Pletcher, who seems to collect Derby candidates each year like horses attract flies, had a big afternoon at Gulfstream Park in Florida when he saddled the winners in a pair of Grade II 3-year-old races – the Fountain of Youth and Hutcheson stakes. Scat Daddy, with John Velazquez aboard, got up in the final jump to beat Stormello by a nose in the $350,000 Fountain of Youth in a time of 1:49.11 for the 11/8-mile distance. art.wilson@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2103 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “Corey said anytime he wanted, he knew he had it,” O’Neill said. “Of course, they always say that.” O’Neill puts Great Hunter at the top of his Derby quartet, which also includes Notional, Liquidity and Colbalt Blue, because he’s the only one of the four who’s won a Grade I race. center_img ARCADIA – Great Hunter, one of trainer Doug O’Neill’s four Kentucky Derby hopefuls, justified his 4-5 odds in Saturday’s $200,000 Grade II Robert B. Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita with a powerful closing kick that resulted in a 11/4-length victory. Great Hunter, eighth in the nine-horse field after the first half-mile, rallied around the turn for home under Corey Nakatani and held off a game Sam P. while running the 11/16 miles in 1:42.89 in his 2007 debut. last_img

first_imgSen. Joseph R. Biden of Delaware said that he had proposed in January the idea of repealing the authority for the war resolution. Sen. Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut praised the idea, but said that it would not change the president’s Iraq policy. And Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois said October was too late to begin bringing troops home. The flurry of exchanges among presidential candidates, according to interviews with lawmakers in both parties, is obscuring efforts to reach a substantive legislative compromise on Capitol Hill. “The presidential debate is a complicating factor,” said Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., who is working with Sen. Olympia J. Snowe, R-Maine, to build a consensus to change Iraq strategy. “The whole thing is so polarized. There is a canyon separating the bases of both parties.” Of the burst of Iraq pronouncements by presidential candidates, Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, chairman of the Republican conference, said: “It is poison in the middle of a war, when the issue is funding the troops.” In Congress, days after the president vetoed the Iraq spending bill, the Senate and the House were heading down different paths in producing new legislation to pay for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. WASHINGTON – The aggressive attempts by Democratic presidential hopefuls to shape the war debate are threatening to complicate congressional efforts to reach a deal on the Iraq spending bill, as the candidates’ calls for accelerating an end to the conflict compete with efforts by legislative leaders to extend funding for the war. The proposal by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton to repeal President George W. Bush’s war authorization in October touched off a furious tussle on Friday among Democrats hoping to gain an upper hand with voters who oppose the war. It prompted other candidates to seek an even swifter end to the conflict, which is what some congressional leaders had been trying to avoid as war-spending negotiations with the White House intensify. John Edwards, the former North Carolina senator, said the plan was “a good statement to make,” but said Congress should use the power of the purse to end the war. He compared the proposal to the 1971 congressional action that repealed the resolution authorizing the Vietnam War, but noted: “The war went on for another three years.” Bill Richardson, the governor of New Mexico, said he proposed a similar measure three months ago. In an interview Friday, Richardson said the plan by Clinton of New York and Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., “only goes halfway,” because it would leave too many residual American forces in Iraq. As soon as next week, Democratic officials said, the House could consider a measure that would essentially provide $30 billion – or three months of funding for combat operations – and call for the president to report in midsummer on progress being made by the Iraqi government. Congress would then vote again on providing the remainder of the money sought by the administration. In the Senate, Democrats have opened negotiations with the administration in an effort to craft a measure that Bush would accept. The fact that the House and Senate are taking different approaches means another round of congressional negotiations must occur before a bill could be sent to the White House.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *