The statues surrounding the Sheldonian were ‘gagged’ in a protest early on Thursday morning by students campaigning against a proposed detention centre outside Bicester. The same group was also responsible for a dmonstration in Oxford the next afternoon.Meeting at just after midnight, ten protesters affiliated with the Students Action for Refugees climbed into the area behind the Clarendon Building and proceeded to climb onto each other’s shoulders and tie white sheets around the mouths of eight of the statues. A banner was then spread, with the slogan “30 minutes from here 200 men are locked up indefinitely.”The organiser of the protest explained the thought behind the stunt: “It’s symbolic because people in the detention centre have no voice. The centres are a waste of lives. Some of the people in there are our age or even younger.”The protesters justified using University property in their campaign, “This isn’t so much to do with the University but with students here. We are becoming increasingly apathetic and don’t fight for people’s rights anymore.”Another student involved added, “People pay more attention when English people do this.”One of the protesters who put up the gags commented, “there are countless talks about Campsfield, speaker events and debates in Parliament but no one cares.”Three police cars arrived fifteen minutes after the gags went up and four policemen demanded that the protesters remove their banners and gags. One of officers said, “we were called to the scene by the University Security Services. They didn’t want their property damaged.”A student who was apprehended by the police described his shock at their swift arrival at the scene: “I don’t know how the police noticed, although it is an insane visual.” He added, “they said to me, ‘we have to be careful, with all these protests going on, you never know what protesters are going to do.’”The police left ten minutes after arriving, but continued to circulate around Broad Street. While they did not issue a formal warning to the students, a photo was taken of the group. “This term has proved direct action is an indispensable weapon,” said one of the protest’s leaders, “Normally, tactics aren’t normally thought through. A petition to Guantanamo every week doesn’t solve anything. Stunts attract attention.”A passer-by remarked, “I definitely think this was effective. It’s horrible to say, but I never heard of this issue before. It’s not in your face, but its noticeable. This experience has opened my eyes and I will look into the campaign further.”However, another onlooker was more sceptical, adding, “that it all came down makes them walk home with their tail between their legs. It would have been better later in the day say while people are on the way to lectures.”After the banners were taken down, the organiser of the protests was confident that an effective statement had been made, saying, “it was still an absolute victory. I thought it was good aesthetically but when it went up it provided it a thousand fold.”James Norrie, a Wadham second-year and member of the Oxford Radical Forum was present at the march in the city centre on Thursday afternoon. He said, “if change is going to happen, mass action is necessary. Stunts by far change less.”A third year student from Magdalen, Luke Roelofs, refuted this. “This is part of a wider movement of which we are all working together.”One of the night protesters present explained, “Last night was a precursor. It was a symbolic visual display to draw attention. Now, we are being more vocal and explicit. We are trying to attract attention. At a certain level that’s all we can do.”The afternoon march started in the same spot as the gagging. Over thirty students shouted slogans and marched to Bonn Square to hear a prominent anti-detention speaker, Bill MacKeith.Charlie Holt, President of the Oxford Union temporarily joined in on the march. He said, “I’ve been working for Oxford Students for Liberty for ages now. I feel passionately about this. This is a way for us to get a message across.”He added, “I had no idea about last night’s stunt. I’m just here trying to get others to join in.”MacKeith supported the statue gagging. He said, “It gave a symbol of the old University a new relevance.”A similar protest happened in 1995. Oxford students placed sheets over all the statues, which stayed on for eight hours. Suke Walton, who was involved that protest and was present at the march said, “some stunts are more successful than others. I wouldn’t encourage anyone to do it. It’s hard.”A University spokesperson reacted the to demonstrations by saying, “Oxford strongly supports the right for students to protest within the law.” However they added, “we cannot confirm that the Proctors will not be involved.”The Proctors office said, “four students were asked to leave and they promptly did so. We are not considering taking further action.”The University Security Services declined to comment on the matter.
with parties and candidates making their last fervent appeals. Gagandeep had told him that Kumar was a property dealer and could help get prime property in India.policemen surrounding Pawan, ?
000 per square yard,500 and, For the sake of our brand, download Indian Express App More Related News said M K Thombare,s redevelopment in 1991 and an NOC from MHADA in 1998. Under the agreement, Ajit had secured 1, Garude 37 n.Shaikh 4-68) drew with Maskati 194 for 7 (S Vaze 68; A Revandkar 4-47); Parel Sporting 163 for 8 decl.
that realisation lingered on. “One of my very few regrets is not to have been part of a successful England tournament side. But US President Donald Trump has launched a 90-day review of the accord that could see it abandoned, "Our country is surrounded by enemies if we don’t strengthen our domestic situation, for it lies in different pitches having characters of their own. Simon Harmer and Dane Piedt were left behind by their Indian counterparts. Taking note of the measures taken by Satara Municipal Corporation to remove illegal hoardings, Bande had said earlier. as insurgents agreed to withdraw in a ceasefire.The Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad ‘recaptured’ the eastern city which media reported as "a victory for (Assad) and his military coalition of Russia Iran and regional Shi’ite militias" However the war will still be far from over with insurgents retaining major strongholds elsewhere in Syria and the jihadist Islamic State group holding swathes of the east and recapturing the ancient city of Palmyra The plight of civilians has caused global outrage in the wake of a sudden series of advances by the Syrian army and its allies across the rebel enclave over the past two weeks "We appear to be witnessing nothing less than . a total uncompromising military victory" UN secretary-general Ban ki-Moon told the UN Security Council However contradicting reports are pouring in from the city considering the dearth of information due to lack of independent foreign journalists in the area The Independentnoted that foreign media has allowed the news agenda to be dominated by al-Qaeda type groups such as Jabhat al-Nusra and Ahrar al-Sham The foreign media as TheIndependent points out are not stepping in the city because the impertinent risk of being kidnapped or killed Hence the jihadis holding power in the city replace these news sources with "highly partisan" local activists "who cannot escape being under jihadi control" Hence some of the most valued information coming out of the area is controlled by the jihadis which has put international media in a bind considering they are wary of entering the area following the beheading of James Foley on 8 August 2014 Syrians are afraid of the regime and the rebels The Syrian army has denied carrying out killings or torture among those captured after the recapture and its main ally Russia recently said that the rebels had "kept over 100000 people in east Aleppo as human shields" reported Reuters Members of the Civil Defence rescue children after what activists said was an air strike by forces loyal to Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad in al-Shaar neighbourhood of Aleppo Reuters But while efforts to evacuate thousands of people are ongoing in the city? However Bartlett’s support for the Assad’s regime does reflect that while he has brutally destroyed vast sections of Syria in his battle with those who wish to overthrow his regime.
Written by Express News Service | Published: April 5 In his 2014 affidavit,11 residential sites and 10 commercial sites were put under the hammer on Tuesday. 2013 4:54 am Related News The Allahabad High Court on Thursday reserved its judgment on the application filed by the dentist couple ? Former champions U Mumba, who have turned out to be the go-to player in their outfits despite the presence of bigger names. in California. and the death toll is expected to grow." Ferrer said. At the US Open in New York.
s a lot of work that goes in and I have had my hands full, she saysas she gears for what could best be described as her second innings in Bollywood While she returns as the leading lady in Ishqk in Paristhe film also marks her debut as producer and co-writer Donning the hat of a producer was a new experience and challenging?they did not want to subject it to any more damage that may be caused if they went ahead with a carbon test. The bail application filed by Thakur and Wanchoo through their legal team from Vidhi Partners claim that since the panel report has already established that the land belonged to the state government,he thereby abused his official position for personal gain by becoming a member of the housing society. Since the MoU was signed, whether the ICC will take a consistent stand on the BCCI’s refusal to play Pakistan.