first_img http://jrnl.ie/4098566 Short URL Tweet thisShare on FacebookEmail this article Jun 29th 2018, 8:27 AM Friday 29 Jun 2018, 8:27 AM 16,000 travellers stranded after massive volcanic eruption in Bali Mount Agung last erupted in November. Bali’s economy has taken a pounding over the chaos caused by the volcano. By AFP 32,150 Views Tourists wait at Ngurah Rai International Airport during the eruption Source: Firdia Lisnawati/PA ImagesTHOUSANDS OF TOURISTS have been stranded as Bali shuttered its international airport following a volcanic eruption on the Indonesian resort island that shot a thick plume of ash and smoke thousands of metres into the sky, officials said.The early morning closure of Ngurah Rai airport sparked the cancellation of nearly 280 flights to and from the tropical paradise with some 15,700 passengers affected, according to revised figures from an airport spokesman.The initial numbers given were nearly 450 flights cancelled and 75,000 travellers affected. The spokesman did not give a reason for the dramatic revision.A striking orange-red glow could be seen at the top of Mount Agung’s crater after it shot smoke and ash some 2,000 metres into the sky yesterday evening.The airport was closed early this morning after a pilot flying overhead detected traces of volcanic ash as high as 23,000 feet. Mount Agung’s crater glows red during yesterday’s eruption Source: AP/PA ImagesAshAsh is dangerous for planes as it makes runways slippery and can be sucked into their engines.Bali’s main international gateway will be closed until at least this evening, according to officials, who added that two other domestic airports were also shut.The fresh activity threatens to create travel chaos after an Agung eruption in November stranded thousands and pounded Bali’s lucrative tourism industry and wider economy.Tens of thousands of locals fled to evacuation centres after last year’s eruption.The volcano is about 75 kilometres from Bali’s tourist hub in Kuta.Australian visitor Rod Bird came early to the airport only to be told his flight back to Perth had been cancelled for the second time.An earlier flight on AirAsia was called off before the airport was shuttered early this morning.“They told us the volcano is going off so they rebooked us for this morning and we got here at 5am only to be turned away again. So we’ve had two cancelled flights,” Bird told AFP.“Well it’s Bali, these things happen and we are fine with it. We just miss the kids,” he added.StrandedThousands were stranded at the airport or area hotels today, but it was not immediately clear how many tourists were unable to leave the island.Despite the eruption, Agung’s status remained on alert status, the second highest danger warning.There is a four-kilometre (2.5 mile) no-go zone around Agung’s peak.Bali’s governor said officials were working on getting visitors on their way.“We will try our best to find a solution so all visitors can continue their trip,” Made Mangku Pastika said.Agung has been erupting periodically since it rumbled back to life last year.Its last major eruption in 1963 killed around 1,600 people.Indonesia is the world’s most active volcanic region and lies on the Pacific “Ring of Fire” where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent volcanic and seismic activities.© – AFP, 2018 20 Comments Share541 Tweet Email10 last_img

Related Posts

first_imgThe CIA’s allegation that Russia intervened in the U.S. presidential election to help Donald Trump is “fake news” being peddled by the Washington Post and New York Times.Did the Russians sabotage voting machines in the Midwest? That’s the sort of stuff U.S. spy agencies would brag about discovering. But no.Russia is accused of hacking the computer of Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager John Podesta and giving embarrassing information to WikiLeaks. But Julian Assange, WikiLeaks’ editor-in-chief, denied Russia was the source. (Politico, Nov. 3)Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina nonetheless declared, “I’m going after Russia in every way you can go after Russia. … I think they did interfere with our elections, and I want Putin personally to pay the price.” (Washington Post, Dec. 10)It wasn’t Russia that set up the Electoral College that’s sending Trump to the White House, even though he got 2.8 million fewer votes than Clinton. As Yale law professor Akhil Reed Amar has pointed out, the Electoral College was established to protect slavery. (Vox, Nov. 12)And it was not Russia that suppressed African-American and Latinx votes.The CIA claims against Russia are old news. “‘We have not drawn any evidentiary connection to any Russian intelligence service and WikiLeaks — none,’ said one U.S. official,” That’s what the Washington Post reported back on July 27.So why the clamor now? It probably has something to do with most of Aleppo being liberated by Syria’s elected government, which is aided by Russia and Iran. It’s a big defeat for the CIA.Attacking Russia for allegedly aiding Trump is also a way to attack this super-bigot from the right.Millions of people may be coming to Washington, D.C., on Jan. 20 to protest Trump’s inauguration. Blaming Russia is an attempt to divert the struggle.It’s easier to knock Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson, Trump’s apparent secretary of state nominee, for deals with Russia than to attack the oil giant for, say, exploiting Yemen.Democrats like New York Sen. Charles Schumer are yelling the loudest against Russia, while capitulating to Trump’s nomination of a virtual junta of generals in his cabinet.During the election campaign the ruling class and its capitalist state were split. The biggest banks and the CIA supported Clinton. Most of the small banks, oil frackers like Harold Hamm — the sort of forces that backed Barry Goldwater in 1964 — were for Trump.The FBI was also for Trump, and FBI Director James Comey may have helped tilt the elections by raising Clinton’s emails late in the campaign.The split between these two Gestapo-like agencies — the CIA and the FBI — has continued, with the FBI discounting the CIA’s claims about Russia. (CNN, Dec. 11)What’s ironic about the CIA’s “fake news” is that U.S. election consultants boasted about how they helped re-elect Russian President Boris Yeltsin in 1996. (Los Angeles Times, July 9, 1996) Wall Street used Yeltsin to help overthrow the Soviet Union, a tragic defeat for poor people and workers everywhere.Russia today has a capitalist government, but it’s not a vassal state like Saudi Arabia. To U.S. generals like “Mad Dog” James Mattis — Trump’s choice for defense secretary — Russia is 6 million square miles to attack and occupy.Our enemies are in the corporate boardrooms and the Pentagon, not in Moscow.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img

first_imgHome Energy The War of Words over Waivers Continues SHARE Facebook Twitter The War of Words over Waivers ContinuesThe war of words between the Senate and the EPA is heating up. The issue is the granting of refining waivers by EPA to refineries allowing them to blend less ethanol and not comply with the RFS. Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley is a leading critic of the agency, “EPA is screwing around with the program, to the detriment of agriculture and the ethanol industry.”But EPA’s Bill Wehrum flatly denied the allegations, “We, in conjunction with the Department of Energy, require a substantial amount of information to be provided by those who ask for the waivers, including very detailed information about the financial condition of these facilities and the companies that run them…whether there is hardship that warrants the issuance of an exemption. So, I’ll just say, based on how you asked the question, we just categorically deny the assertion that we’re granting waivers to facilities that are not deserving.”Grassley urges the President to step in fix the issue, “They’re bullying the President of the United States…just like, if anybody thinks they can bully this president…he’s not easily bullied, I believe…but that’s what they’re trying to do…and they’re not going to give up.”Meanwhile, U.S. corn farmers continue to suffer from a decline in ethanol production. A recent analysis by economists at the University of Missouri’s Food and Agriculture Policy Research Institute shows that the U.S. ethanol industry could lose 4.6 billion gallons of domestic demand and nearly $20 billion in sales revenue over the next six years if the U.S. EPA continues its current practice of exempting dozens of small refiners from their blending obligations under the Renewable Fuel Standard. The War of Words over Waivers Continues Previous articleTrade, Disaster Aid, Coming to Farmers QuicklyNext articleMeat Industry Needs USMCA and Japan Deals Gary Truitt SHARE Facebook Twitter By Gary Truitt – Jul 24, 2019 last_img

first_img Cuba and its Decree Law 370: annihilating freedom of expression on the Internet October 12, 2018 Find out more News A Paris court today banned Reporters Without Borders and the French advertising agency Rampazzo from using a world-famous photo of Cuban guerrilla leader Ernesto “Che” Guevara wearing a beret with a red star on it. The organisation warned that if it did not lodge an appeal, it would find new ways to publicise the plight of the 30 journalists currently imprisoned in Cuba and try to win their release. RSF and Fundamedios welcome US asylum ruling in favor of Cuban journalist Serafin Moran Santiago Organisation A Paris court today banned Reporters Without Borders and the French advertising agency Rampazzo from using a world-famous photo of Cuban guerrilla leader Ernesto “Che” Guevara wearing a beret with a red star on it. The ban was at the request of Diane Diaz Lopez, daughter and heir of the late Cuban photographer Alberto Diaz Gutierrez, known as Korda, who took the picture. “We deplore this court decision, which plays into the hands of the Cuban authorities,” said the organisation’s secretary-general, Robert Ménard. “We especially regret that the complaint against us, which concerns the principle of the right to use photos, did not include discussion of the broader issue of the appalling state of press freedom and human rights in Cuba.” The grounds for the ban would be examined before a decision to appeal was made.He said the organisation would obey the ban and suspend a planned 8-22 July poster campaign using the photo. But he he warned that if it did not lodge an appeal, it would find new ways to publicise the plight of the 30 journalists currently imprisoned in Cuba and try to win their release.The judge who issued the ban set a fine of 200 euros for every time it was infringed and said the photo must be removed from the Reporters Without Borders website. The organisation was ordered to pay 1,000 euros in damages to the plaintiff as well as 1,000 euros in costs. However the judge refused Mrs Diaz Lopez’ request for the verdict to be published at Reporters Without Borders’ expense in five French national daily papers and on its website.The lawsuit had sought to “stop publication, distribution and sale” of the photo which was to have been used in a poster campaign about lack of press freedom in Cuba aimed at the 120,000 or so French people who each year go on holiday to Cuba, drawn by the sun, the beaches or the legend of the Cuban Revolution. The planned campaign poster showed Guevara’s face superimposed on a famous image of a policeman brandishing a truncheon and a shield that became famous in the 1968 student uprising in France. The caption said: “Welcome to Cuba, the world’s biggest prison for journalists.”Behind the ideology of the Cuban revolution, which still inspires many tourists, is the reality of a totalitarian regime which uses the image of “Che” in an effort to legitimise repression. The poster also shows how a revolution that inspired a entire generation in the 1960s has now turned into what that generation most detested – a police state. Mrs Diaz Lopez said Reporters Without Borders could not “plead press freedom to distort Korda’s work for their political and advertising purposes.” Korda’s photograph of Che in Havana in 1960 “represented and still represents a symbol of struggle and the future for the Cuban people,” she said. The Cuban government launched a nationwide crackdown on 18 March in which 75 dissidents were rounded up and sentenced to prison terms of up to 28 years each for “undermining the unity and sovereignty of the state” or its “independence.” They included 26 independent journalists who joined four others already in jail. Cuba thus became the world’s biggest prison for journalists. The heavy punishment of these journalists who have challenged the state’s monopoly of information has been extended by sending them to prisons hundreds of miles from their homes, restricting visits from their families and keeping them in bad conditions of detention. CubaAmericas RSF_en to go further Follow the news on Cuba CubaAmericas New press freedom predators elected to UN Human Rights Council October 15, 2020 Find out more May 6, 2020 Find out more News July 9, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 French court bans Reporters Without Borders from using photo of dead Cuban leader “Che” Guevara News Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information Newslast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *