Chile crosses 10,000 virus deaths as president announces aid package

first_imgTopics : The DEIS figure contrasts with the official daily report that on Sunday showed 6,308 deaths out of 295,532 cases since the first case was detected in Chile four months ago.Health Ministry epidemiological chief Rafael Araos explained Friday that the daily report’s objective is provisional, recommending to use the DEIS figure instead.The grim milestone comes as Pinera announced $1.5 billion in soft loans aimed at cushioning the blow of the economic crisis on Chile’s middle class.The measure still needs to be approved by Congress. Chile recorded 10,159 coronavirus deaths on Sunday, as President Sebastian Pinera announced a $1.5 billion aid package to help the middle class, which has been battered by the economic crisis.The death toll is compiled weekly by the Department of Statistics and Health (DEIS) and is considered to be the most accurate for reporting COVID-19 deaths by test results or by symptoms.According to Sunday’s report, there were 7,057 deaths confirmed via swab test and 3,102 “probable” deaths diagnosed via symptoms.center_img If approved, the package would provide for the delivery of a credit of up to $3,200 over four installments, with a zero interest rate and four years to repay it, along with the postponement of dividend payments with a state guarantee.It also provides an extension of a subsidy for rent payment and a credit to pay for higher education.”Chile is a mostly middle class country, which has progressed on the basis of its own merit, effort and work. The middle class knows this and is proud of its achievements. But it also deserves and needs assurances and opportunities for the future,” Pinera said when presenting the aid package.Middle-class families had been excluded from state aid provided to weather the economic fallout of the coronavirus pandemic in Chile.Chile is one of the main global virus hotspots, as it was slow to implement lockdown measures and granted a large number of exceptions for “essential” workers once it did so on May 15.last_img read more

Vivo pulls 2020 IPL sponsorship amid China backlash

first_imgBy Amlan Chakraborty, Sudipto GangulyNEW DELHI/MUMBAI (Reuters) – China’s Vivo will not be the title sponsor of this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL), the Indian cricket board (BCCI) said on Thursday, amid a growing backlash against Chinese companies in India.Smartphone maker Vivo had secured the IPL sponsorship rights for 2018-2022 for nearly 22 billion rupees ($293 million).“The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Vivo Mobile India Pvt Ltd have decided to suspend their partnership for Indian Premier League in 2020,” the Indian board said in a statement.Earlier, an IPL governing council member told Reuters Vivo had withdrawn partly because of the weak business environment due to the COVID-19 pandemic and because of widespread anti-China sentiment in India following a border clash. Vivo did not respond to a request for comment. Indian cricket board (BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly and IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel did not reply to calls and messages from Reuters.There is growing pressure on Chinese companies in India following a border clash in June when 20 Indian soldiers were killed.India has banned Chinese firm ByteDance’s TikTok and 58 other Chinese apps, and made approval processes more stringent for Chinese companies wanting to invest in the country. The IPL Governing Council had in June said it would review its sponsorship deals in light of the border skirmish.Yet its decision to retain Vivo, taken over the weekend, sparked protests by a Hindu nationalist group close to India’s ruling party which threatened to call for an IPL boycott unless the decision was reconsidered.The BCCI was keen to retain Vivo as it would not be easy to find a new sponsor in the current economic environment, the IPL governing council member, who asked to remain anonymous, told Reuters.The popular franchise-based Indian Twenty20 league, which could not be held this year in India because of the COVID-19 crisis, is set to be played in the United Arab Emirates from Sept. 19.last_img read more

Lakers’ Jordan Clarkson believes he can co-exist with No. 2 pick and D’Angelo Russell

first_imgCORONA >> A whirlwind of uncertainty has hovered over Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson this offseason. He is spending the months before his fourth NBA season training for a role that remains undefined for a team that might or might not keep him.The Lakers are mulling who to select with their No. 2 pick in next week’s NBA draft — either UCLA guard Lonzo Ball, Kentucky guard De’Aaron Fox, Kansas guard/forward Josh Jackson or Washington guard Markelle Fultz. But the team also has proposed and listened to potential trades, having made it clear that anyone on the roster, with the exception of second-year forward Brandon Ingram, is available for the right price.Clarkson and guard D’Angelo Russell are among the most likely trade candidates given that framework, but Clarkson reacted with a shrug on Friday.“I try to keep my nose down and keep grinding,” Clarkson said. “I keep working and having fun.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersClarkson appeared to have fun at his youth basketball camp on Friday at Centennial High in Corona, where the proceeds benefit his JC Cares Foundation, which helps charities in Los Angeles and San Antonio. In between drills, Clarkson outlined his value to the Lakers, regardless of how they tinker with their roster this summer.Clarkson mentioned the Golden State Warriors “(created) the blueprint for a lot of teams,” noting their talented and versatile lineup in Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, Andre Iguodala and Draymond Green. Clarkson believes any of the Lakers’ potential draft targets would give the Lakers more positional flexibility.“If we go anywhere in the draft, it’s going to be good for us,” Clarkson said. “It does a lot of good things for us. We’ll be young and grow together. It’s a lot of options for us. We score. But now we understand the game with where our spots are on the floor to score. I feel like it’s going to be great for us no matter who we draft.”If the Lakers select a point guard, they plan to move Russell to shooting guard. That likely means Clarkson remains a reserve after spending most of last season in that capacity. After morphing from the Lakers’ No. 46 pick to a definitive starter during his rookie season in 2014-15, Clarkson went from a starting shooting guard in 2015-16 to a reserve at both positions last season.“It’s tough being able to shift your mind during the years and change roles,” said Clarkson, who averaged 14.7 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game while shooting on 44.5 percent from the field last season. “I work through it and have made it happen. I feel like I’m one of those guys that can impact the game in any way.” Clarkson has started in place of an injured Kobe Bryant (2014-15), shared the starting backcourt with Bryant (2015-16) and come off the bench alongside high-volume scorer Lou Williams (2016-17). Through that journey, Clarkson acknowledged it bothers him “a little bit” that some in NBA circles project his long-term future as just a role player coming off the bench.“Seeing all that stuff is definitely motivation, to be honest with you,” Clarkson said. “It’s funny because people just talk. It is what it is. It’s part of the game. It’s part of the world now. If I’m going to be a sixth man, I’m going to go for Sixth Man of the Year. If I’m a starter, I’m definitely trying to be a great player either way. If it happens, whatever way it is, I’m going to be great at it.”Clarkson prefers to start but said he will accept either role without complaint.“I’m trying to get the best out of my opportunities,” he said.Some of those opportunities could hinge on how well Clarkson plays alongside Russell. Lakers coach Luke Walton mostly avoided featuring the pair together last season, believing they struggled with sharing ball-handling duties and excelling defensively. Walton gave them more playing time together toward the end of the season, often featuring Clarkson as the primary ball handler.“It was great for us. We grew a lot together toward those last games,” Clarkson said. “We just needed the opportunity to grow in that area. I understand where everybody comes from, with the organization trying to win games. But toward the end of the year, you saw us working together. It was great.”What is the key for Clarkson and Russell to become great together consistently?“A lot of it is just communicating,” Clarkson said. “Offensively, sometimes it was a problem because we’re both aggressive and want to score. Defensively, it’s where it has to come from. When we come together, that’s where it hurts the most.”Clarkson has come together with Russell to train this offseason. They have worked out at local beaches, something both recently documented on their Instagram accounts.“It was good. It was hard,” Clarkson said, smiling. “We made it look cool. But it wasn’t cool at all.”That’s because Clarkson and Russell spent that time completing running drills, defensive slides and back pedaling on sand dunes.“It’s tough. We try to kill ourselves when we’re out there,” Clarkson said. “The beach helps us get through it. We survived it.”Will Clarkson survive the trade talk, though? Instead of worrying whether the Lakers value him as much as when they re-signed him to a four-year, $50 million deal last summer, Clarkson is spending most of the offseason with a basketball in his hand at the Lakers’ training facility or with his personal trainer, Drew Hanlen. Clarkson is focused on improving his left hand, his pace and his defense as well as communication skills during pick-up scrimmages with his teammates.He will hold another camp in Los Angeles (July 26-28), a clinic in San Antonio (Aug. 4) and might visit the Philippines. By then, Clarkson should have clarity on his standing and role with the Lakers.Until then, Clarkson pledged to maintain the same mindset that propelled him this far.“It’s about going out there, competing and trying to produce,” he said.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impa

first_img Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo Arizona Cardinals strong safety Antoine Bethea (41) breaks up a pass intended for Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (10) during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 19, 2017, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith) Arizona Cardinals safety Antoine Bethea was questionable to return Sunday against the Washington Redskins after leaving the game with a knee injury in the second quarter, the team said.He did return, then forced a fumble by the Redskins to cover for his quarterback, Blaine Gabbert, having thrown an interception in the red zone just seconds prior.Cornerback Tramon Williams returned the fumble by tight end Vernon Davis to the Washington 33-yard line a play after Gabbert was picked off. Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires 0 Comments   Share   The 33-year-old Bethea, in his first season with the Cardinals, sat out of practice with a knee injury on Wednesday and was limited Thursday before returning to full action Friday. It is unknown whether that injury is related.Second-year pro Harlan Miller briefly took Bethea’s place at safety before the veteran returned.Bethea was sixth on Arizona’s roster with 51 tackles heading into the Week 15 game at FedExField and led the team with three interceptions on the season.A three-time Pro Bowl safety in 2007, 2009 and 2014, Arizona signed Bethea in the offseason to add a veteran voice to the locker room after he spent his first eight NFL seasons (2006-13) with the Indianapolis Colts and last three years with the San Francisco 49ers. Top Stories Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and sellinglast_img read more