Governor has no plans to suspend 17th JNC member

first_img February 1, 2004 Managing Editor Regular News Governor has no plans to suspend 17th JNC member Governor has no plans to suspend 17th JNC membercenter_img Mark D. Killian Managing Editor Gov. Jeb Bush has no plans to suspend or remove 17th Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission member Rev. O’Neal Dozier in the wake of published reports alleging he asked inappropriate and offensive questions to those applying for judgeships, according to Raquel Rodriguez, the governor’s general counsel.“The governor is not going to suspend Rev. Dozier based on a newspaper article,” Rodriguez told those attending the Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee meeting at the Bar’s Midyear Meeting in Miami, where the alleged conduct was discussed. Rodriquez also noted that no formal complaint had been filed against Dozier.The Daily Business Review, a South Florida newspaper that covers commercial and legal issues, reported that Dozier asked a woman candidate how she would balance motherhood with her judicial duties and other candidates if they were “God fearing.” The Review’s stories also allege other 17th Circuit JNC commissioners regularly ask candidates about recent court decisions, such as the courthouse Ten Commandments case in Alabama and the Texas sodomy case, that some think are akin to a political or religious litmus test.Rodriguez said interviewing potential judges is “an art, not a science” and noted the JNC application itself asked very personal questions, such as marital status, how many children the applicants have, about previous marriages, if the candidate has ever been punished at work, and questions dealing with pedophilia, voyeurism, kleptomania, and other psychiatric disorders.“We are not just hiring employees. The appointment of a judge is a constitutional function and a judge has a constitutional role and once that judge is on the bench it is not like a normal employee that you can just fire like that,” Rodriguez said.Rodriguez said while she personally would not ask specific types of questions in a certain way, “you do want to know about the person who is being appointed, you do want to know their life experiences.”Rodriguez said she did speak with Dozier, who told her he no longer asks the “God-fearing” question after receiving earlier complaints about it. She also said she has determined that other parts of the Review story were taken “completely out of context and inaccurate.”The allegations made in the Review articles don’t “even come close” to meeting the “specific constitutional criteria” needed to remove a JNC member, who is a constitutional officer, Rodriquez said.Georgina Rodriguez Pozzuoli, chair of the 17th Circuit JNC, also said some of the comments in the Review article were taken out of context and the questions regarding family were asked of both men and women.“They were not asked to solicit a right or wrong answer; they were just to get to know the particular candidate, their background, their well roundedness, what they have to juggle in their lives, time commitments,” Pozzuoli said. “They are not intended in any way to put somebody on the spot.”As for questions about court rulings, Pozzuoli said, “They are contemporary legal issues, they are fair game. We want to know if an applicant is up on current affairs, what their judicial reasoning is, how they interpret cases. It is not about a right or wrong answer.”“At the end of the day you have to be able to ask the applicant, regardless of what your personal beliefs are, would you be able to follow the law, and if the answer is ‘yes’ it does not matter what they think,” Rodriguez said. “If the answer is ‘no,’ they should not be a judge because judges are there to follow the law, not to impose their personal views.”Rodriguez said, “Most questions are probably fair game,” but said more training would be appropriate “to make sure people are sensitive in the way they ask the questions.“Certainly you don’t want to offend people and give the impression that you are looking for a particular type of person,” Rodriguez said, noting the 17th JNC has a history of sending the governor a diverse set of candidates for appointment. “The governor can’t imagine that JNC has any litmus tests.”JNPC member Morgan Rood said if the questions asked a candidate seem to be to determine a personal feeling and not whether they would follow the law, then they are wrong.“And I don’t think we need to get too intellectual about it to read the question to know it is wrong,” Rood said.Rood said asking a women candidate if she would be able to balance her judicial duties as a single mother of twins is inappropriate.“Everybody in this room knows that is wrong,” Rood said, noting the commissioners could elicit the same information by using the sample questions in the JNC training manual that asks, “Is there any difficulty in your personal life that would impair you physically, mentally, emotionally etc., from fulfilling your judicial responsibilities? We told people how to ask the question.”Rodriguez said the governor’s only “litmus test” is whether the candidates “share his judicial philosophy that judges ought to be interpreting the law, not being a self-appointed legislator.”In 2001, the legislature amended the procedure by which people are appointed to the JNCs, greatly reducing the Bar’s role in the appointment process. The governor now makes all JNC appointments and the Bar has no role in investigating or disciplining JNC members.last_img read more

Tennis News Serena Williams on course for history, Simona Halep enters Wimbledon semis

first_img Wimbledon: Seven-time champion Serena Williams is just two wins away from equalling Margaret Court’s Grand Slam titles record of 24 but she wobbled several times in her Wimbledon quarter-final against Alison Riske on Tuesday. The 37-year-old, who recorded her 97th success at Wimbledon to move second on the women’s all-time list, came under enormous pressure from her fellow American before prevailing in an engrossing contest, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 in just over two hours.  Williams will play either Britain’s French Open semi-finalist Johanna Konta or Czech veteran Barbora Strycova in Thursday’s semi-finals which will be her 12th at the tournament.     It says a lot about the unpredictability of the women’s game compared to the men’s that Williams was the only player in the last eight who reached the same stage last year. “It was really satisfying,” said Williams, whose clay-court campaign was affected by a knee injury. “I wouldn’t have won that match a couple of weeks ago.”      Also joining her in the last four was Romania’s former world number one Simona Halep, who fought back from 4-1 down and three break points in the first set to beat China’s Zhang Shuai 7-6 (7/4), 6-1. For Halep — who aside from Williams was the only player in the quarter-finals to have won a Grand Slam, taking the French Open last year — it is her second Wimbledon semi-final.     Halep will play Elina Svitolina, the Ukraine eighth seed, after she came back from a break down in each set to beat Karolina Muchova 7-5, 6-4. It will be the 24-year-old Ukrainian’s first Grand Slam semi-final. Williams, whose total of 97 Wimbledon match wins compares to the 82 combined of the other seven quarter-finalists, will look back on her victory with some relief.     Riske converted all five of her break points while Williams succeeded with just six of her 16 opportunities. However, she relied on her power to keep her in the match. In doing so she managed to avoid the fate that befell world number one Ashleigh Barty at the hands of Riske on Monday. “I’m glad that I was able to come through,” said Williams. “She beat so many great players. She was really so close to taking the win today.”      ‘Just button up’      Williams was constantly cajoling herself and letting out roars of come on during the match. Having sealed the match she turned to the player’s box where she was supported by older sister Venus and her husband, Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, and yelled, pumping her fists.     “I was really pumped, it was for a place in the semis at Wimbledon — that doesn’t happen every day and it’s a long, arduous road,” said Williams. “I just had to just button up and play hard. She was playing her heart out and she had nothing to lose and I realised neither did I.”      Seventh seed Halep, who ended the run of 15-year-old Coco Gauff on Monday, took the match by the scruff of the neck once she won the first set. “I fought hard in the first set, even if I was down 4-1,” said 27-year-old Halep. “I knew I had to be strong, play aggressive as much as possible and I did it great. I have energy, I feel fresh, I feel healthy, I feel confident when I step on the court.”      For Svitolina breaking new ground in terms of her career is exciting enough. “It feels amazing,” she enthused. “It is the first time in the semi-finals for me and I didn’t expect it would happen here. It’s exciting and I’m looking forward to my semi-final already.” Simona Halep ended the miracle run of 15-year-old Coco Gauff.Serena defeated Alison Riske 6-4, 4-6, 6-3.Elina Svitolina will play in her first Grand Slam semi-final. highlightscenter_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more

Gala Leisure completes £40m rebrand to Buzz Bingo targeting new audiences

first_img Affiliate leaders confirmed for CasinoBeats Malta 2020 February 21, 2020 Share Share Buzz Bingo to close 26 UK venues placing 570 jobs at risk  July 15, 2020 Submit Legacy UK bingo operator Gala Leisure has announced that it has completed its full £40 million makeover to ‘Buzz Bingo’.Gala Leisure, the former bingo subsidiary of Gala Coral, which was sold to private equity firm Caledonia Investments in December 2015 for £240 million, will now operate its 103 UK clubs under the Buzz Bingo domain.Furthermore, this week sees the UK bingo operator launch its new online bingo portal Buzzbingo.com powered by Playtech Plc, with the FTSE250 technology group acting as lead omni-channel systems provider.gLaunching its new identity, Buzz Bingo has unveiled its first UK-wide advertising campaign ‘Buzz Bingo Has Arrived’ developed by creative agency Isobel London.The campaign which will run across TV, digital and social media formats until the end of the year, seeks to introduce Buzz Bingo as the UK’s new pioneer bingo brand targeting new audiences.The makeover of Gala Leisure has been spearheaded by CEO Chris Matthews, who joined the enterprise in September 2017, from UK sports retailer Go Outdoors.Rebranding as Buzz Bingo, Matthews details that 2019 will be a critical year for the operator, as it plans it recapture its position as the leading multi-vertical bingo operator for the UK.Supporting its new corporate vision, last June Gala Leisure announced the reappointment of former founder John Kelly as new Non-Executive Chairman. Related Articles GVC finalises Ladbrokes Coral migration May 18, 2020 StumbleUponlast_img read more