Storm Brings Snow, Freezing Rain to Long Island

first_imgThe wintry mix could make for hazardous travel conditions and reduce visibility on the roads, the weather service said. Drivers are urged to use caution. The forecast for the evening calls for a low of 29 with winds gusting as high as 21 mph.Sunday will be dry, according to the weather service. Forecasters predict mostly sunny skies with a high near 37. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A coastal storm dropped several inches of snow on Long Island early Saturday morning, setting the stage for what is likely to be a messy day on the Island. By early morning, some areas in Nassau and Suffolk counties were hit with up to 5 inches of snow. By the time most Long Islanders had rolled out of bed, the snow had already been replaced with either rain or freezing rain, or a mix of both. In some areas, the temperature at daybreak had already reached Saturday’s predicted high of 34. Long Island, which is under a winter weather advisory until 6 p.m. Saturday, should see a wintry mix of sleet and rain throughout the day before the preciptiation transitions back to snow in the late afternoon. “At that point, by late afternoon perception as a whole is starting to wind down,” said John Murray, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Upton. last_img read more

Josh Kroenke reveals the two reasons Arsenal sacked Unai Emery and sends message to Freddie Ljungberg

first_img Jose Mourinho: Unai Emery sacking is ‘sad news’To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 3:41FullscreenJose Mourinho: Unai Emery sacking is ‘sad news’https://metro.co.uk/video/jose-mourinho-unai-emery-sacking-sad-news-2059914/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.‘My message to Freddie and the players was let’s get back to basics and most importantly let’s get back to having some fun.‘I think footballers are at their best when I see smiles on their faces and going out there and winning matches. That’s a winning formula to me.’Kroenke also admitted Arsenal would take their time over naming a permanent successor to Emery, with a host of names being linked with the position.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves‘Our process is already underway,’ the Arsenal chief said. ‘It’s going to be led by Raul, Vinai, Edu and Huss here internally.‘I look forward to getting with them and working closely with them throughout this process.‘Because of our confidence in Freddie we’re very fortunate that we’re going to be entering into our process and doing a thorough search and it’s about finding the right candidate, it’s not about finding the first candidate.’AdvertisementAdvertisementMORE: Emmanuel Petit wants Patrick Vieira to be next Arsenal managerMORE: Freddie Ljungberg reveals how his Arsenal side will differ to Unai Emery’s Comment Advertisement Josh Kroenke has explained why Arsenal sacked manager Unai Emery (Picture: Getty)Josh Kroenke has revealed the two reasons Arsenal sacked Unai Emery and urged interim boss Freddie Ljungberg to bring the smiles back to Arsenal.Spanish manager Emery arrived at the Emirates last year having won a league title at PSG and three Europa Leagues at Sevilla.But the 48-year-old struggled to prove his worth in the Premier League and finally lost his job on Friday morning following a demoralising Europa League defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt. Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 30 Nov 2019 6:52 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link207Shares Freddie Ljungberg has been placed in charge of Arsenal on a temporary basis (Picture: Getty)He added: ‘First and foremost Freddie has Arsenal DNA.‘Obviously he was a player here for a number of years, the supporters know him very well and he’s worked diligently behind the scenes for the past several years, including the last year and a half or so with Arsenal again.‘So it’s been great to have him around, he knows the club’s DNA and we feel he is the right person in the moment to take the club forward. Josh Kroenke reveals the two reasons Arsenal sacked Unai Emery and sends message to Freddie Ljungberg Advertisement Emery spent 18 underwhelming months at the Emirates (Picture: Getty)Kroenke says the Arsenal board decided to sack Emery after becoming ‘concerned’ by recent performances and because the club were beginning to ‘fall short of several goals’ that were set before the season started.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘Like all of our fans and supporters around the globe, we’ve been concerned about our recent string of performances,’ the Arsenal director said.‘We wanted to support Unai and his staff until we decided it was time to make a change and ultimately we came to that decision over the last several weeks as a group between myself, Raul, Vinai and Edu.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘[It was a] very difficult decision. First and foremost Unai is a good man, someone that we all respect very much. His work ethic on a daily basis between him and his staff was fantastic.‘Ultimately we started to fall short of several goals that we set. We still feel that we can achieve those goals this season, which is why we decided to make the change now.’Former Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg has been placed in temporary charge of the Gunners and Kroenke has revealed what he expects from the club legend.last_img read more

Pooran must use incident as a `learning experience’-CWI president

first_imgST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC) – Cricket West Indies (CWI) president, Ricky Skerritt, says under-fire batsman Nicholas Pooran must use the ball tampering incident as a “learning experience”.The 24-year-old Pooran was on Wednesday slapped with a four-match ban by the International Cricket Council after pleading guilty to “changing the condition of the ball” during West Indies’ five-wicket win in the third One-Day International on Monday in Lucknow.Television footage showed Pooran using his thumbnail to “scratch the surface of the ball”, a charge he subsequently admitted to after being reported by on-field umpires, along with the third and fourth officials.“Mr Pooran is a young player who has made a grave error of judgement,” Skerritt said in a statement Wednesday.“He will suffer the penalty and will be missed from the team as a result. I am confident that this situation will be used by Pooran, and all concerned in CWI, as a learning experience.”The ban rules Pooran out of the three-match Twenty20 International against Afghanistan starting next month, and the first T20I of three-match series against India next month.Further, the incident takes some of the shine off West Indies’ first one-day series win in five years and the subsequent whitewash.The Caribbean side beat Afghanistan by seven wickets in the opening ODI last Thursday before clinching the series with a 47-run victory last Saturday.last_img read more

Dynamo Kiev charged by UEFA for supporters’ racist behaviour in Champions League clash against Chelsea

first_img1 Dynamo Kiev charged by UEFA for supporters’ racist behaviour in Champions League clash against Chelsea UEFA has ordered Dynamo Kiev to play their next three European home games in an empty stadium as punishment for offences including racist behaviour by fans during the Champions League match against Chelsea last month.Football’s European anti-discrimination body Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) passed footage to UEFA of an apparent attack on four black fans at the match in Ukraine on October 20 which ended 0-0. Charges were brought against Dynamo for racist behaviour, crowd disturbances and blocked stairways.The club has also been fined €100,000 – and the order of closed doors for the third match will be suspended for three years and only applied if further offences are committed.A UEFA statement read: “Dynamo Kiev has been ordered to play their next three UEFA competition matches as host club behind closed doors. The third match is suspended for a probationary period of three years.”last_img read more