Mediterranean-inspired masterpiece sells for $3.1 million

first_img18 Binda Place, Sorrento. More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North12 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa1 day ago18 Binda Place, Sorrento.A 800-bottle wine cellar and cedar french doors add to the luxurious design.Genc & Co agents Isaac and Maria Genc negotiated the sale.Mr Genc said the buyer was from the Gold Coast.Property records show the mansion last changed hands in 2004 for $2.865 million.It was listed for rent last year at $3000 per week. 18 Binda Place, Sorrento.A WATERFRONT mansion on the Gold Coast has sold for $3.1 million.The Mediterranean-inspired masterpiece at 18 Binda Place, Sorrento features wrought-iron balconies and sprawling gardens.The-six bedroom, five-bathroom residence has marble finishes in the bathrooms, a sweeping staircase, high ceilings and parquetry floors.last_img read more

Di Canio excited by Chelsea opener

first_imgControversial new Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio is ready to take his place in the spotlight when he makes his first Barclays Premier League appearance in the dugout in Sunday’s match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Di Canio, who succeeded Martin O’Neill after Sunderland’s 1-0 defeat by Manchester United, has been at the centre of a media storm this week surrounding his political views. The Italian has moved to distance himself from talk of anything other than Sunderland’s top-flight survival and is focussing on the thrill of leading his new side into battle against Chelsea. Sunderland are only one point clear of the relegation zone with seven games remaining. However, Di Canio is relishing the challenge, starting this weekend at Chelsea, where he scored a spectacular long-range volley when playing for West Ham in 2006. “As a manager it is my first time at the top, I mean the very top level,” Di Canio told safc.com. “(We are) away from home against Chelsea, where obviously I have good memories and scored when I was a footballer. But I’m not a footballer now, I’m a manager and now I hope my players will score there and give us some points. “It’s fantastic. The players will be motivated on their own; they live to play on the big stage. Obviously we are going to give them extra motivation to try to get a very good result.” Di Canio’s only other spell in management was at Swindon, who he led to promotion from npower League Two after his first season in charge, before resigning in February following off-the-pitch problems and financial difficulties at the club. The 44-year-old is now keen to make an immediate impact in the Premier League. He added: “Chelsea at Stamford Bridge – what can you say? I can’t wait for it and I expect the same desire and determination from my players to make sure they do a good job. “To go to Stamford Bridge and make a big impact – we always have to remember that the main protagonists are the players, but with my help and my staff’s help we can go there and get a result. It’s exciting. We live for it. Life is short and if you have an exciting job, you’re lucky. “I’m not worried about the big stage. We will do everything straight away to try and get a big result at Chelsea and then in the other games. This is a fantastic achievement for me and my staff and it is a consequence of what we have done in the past.” Di Canio has several injury worries ahead of the match and only has a threadbare squad to choose from. Midfielder David Vaughan (groin) and defender Carlos Cuellar (ankle) are both doubts while captain Lee Cattermole (knee surgery) and striker Steven Fletcher (ankle ligaments) will both miss the rest of the season. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Paine wants senior batsmen to step up, fill void

first_img(REUTERS) – Australia will need a collective effort by their batsmen to fill the void left by the in-form Steve Smith who will miss the third Ashes Test against England, skipper Tim Paine said yesterday.Smith was ruled out of the encounter at Headingley, starting today, due to the effects of a concussion after being hit on the head by a bouncer from England fast bowler Jofra Archer in the first innings of the drawn second Test at Lord’s.The former skipper, who smashed 92 at Lord’s, has been in superb form making 144 and 142 in the opening Test at Edgbaston to help Australia seal a 251-run victory for a 1-0 lead in the five-match series. Asked how Australia planned to replace Smith in the third Test, Paine told reporters: “We do it as a team.”Concussion substitute Marnus Labuschagne filled in for Smith in the second innings and made a gritty 59 but Paine said it was up to all senior batsmen to ensure the pressure is not entirely on the 25-year-old.“There aren’t too many guys … that have averaged higher than Steve in Test cricket. Clearly they are huge shoes to fill and we don’t put all that pressure on Marnus,” Paine said. “Marnus comes in to play a role in our team and it’s up to everyone else, particularly our senior players, to make sure we give that little bit more output and cover Steve.”Paine said Australia expected more of the same fiery bowling from Barbados-born fast bowler Archer in the third Test. “We copped some short pitch bowling. The guys have got plans and we’ve prepared really well for it. It’s now about going out and executing,” Paine added.“When someone’s bowling fast and the crowd’s up and about it’s exciting. It’s great for Test cricket; the interest it’s sparked in the last … 10 days is great. We’re looking forward to the challenge again this week.”last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Friday, Aug. 22 – Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014

first_imgSunday, August 24, 20142:20 a.m.  Officers investigated a battery by a known suspect in the 100 block of N. Washington.•2:45 a.m. Officers investigated an aggravated assault in the 1100 block of E. Lincoln.•3:18 a.m. Officers investigated an aggravated assault in the 1100 block of E. Lincoln.•Juvenile male, 17, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 64 mph in a 50 mph zone and operating a motor vehicle without proof of insurance.•10:20 p.m. Officers investigated suspicious activity in the 700 block of N. Blaine. Wellington Police notes for Friday, August 22 – Sunday, August 24:Friday, August 22, 2014•4:15 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 800 block S. C, Wellington.•9:47 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of checks in the 1400 block N. Washington, Wellington.•10:32 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of currency in the 1000 block of W. 8th.•11:10 a.m. Juvenile female, 16, Wellington was arrested and confined on a commitment to sanctions house court through Sumner County for probation violation.•1:05 p.m. Cara M. Appelhans, 35, Wellington was arrested and confined on a warrant through the city of Oxford.•2:13 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 500 block N. Plum, Wellington.•2:34 p.m. On August 14, 2014 Officers investigated a theft in the 1400 block N. Washington, Wellington. Property was recovered and returned to owner.•2:40 p.m. Hunter M. Gaddie, 20, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with possession of alcohol by underage adult.•8:20 p.m. Officers made a, courtesy motor vehicle non-injury accident report on private property, in the 1000 block of N. A., involving a vehicle operated by Caitlin B. Jordan, 21, Kountze,Texas and a parked and unoccupied vehicle owned by Michael L. Spencer, Wellington. Saturday, August 23, 2014•10:20 a.m. Brenda S. Cadenhead, 53, Wichita, was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 43 mph in a 30 mph zone (radar) and expired drivers license.•5:25 p.m. Officers investigated suspicious activity in the 1400 block of superior court.•8:41 p.m. Officers investigated a dog bite and was impounded in the 1300 block of N. B.•10:07 p.m. Officers investigated a sexual battery in the 200 block of W. 4th.•10:44 p.m. Officers investigated domestic battery and criminal damage to property in the 300 block of E. 15th.•11:25 p.m. Matthew R. Deason, 34, Wellington was arrested, confined and eventually bonded on charges charges of domestic battery and criminal damage to property.last_img read more

Nicholas Scott pilots Rivoli to narrow win over Boys’ Town in Red Stripe Premier League

first_img – 8:40 p.m.: Harbour View vs UWI FC at Harbour View Stadium Yesterday’s Results Today’s match Nicholas Scott’s brace led Rivoli United to a vital 3-2 victory against Boys’ Town in the Red Stripe Premier League yesterday at Barbican Complex. Scott, in his second game for the Spanish Town-based club, netted in the 15th and 73rd minutes, while Ross Burton added another goal in the 32nd minute. For the losers, the goalscorers were Rafiek Thomas (45th) and Shamar Nicholson (86th). The win pushed relegation-threatened Rivoli to 22 points, while Boys’ Town remained on 27 points. Scott, who transferred from Tivoli Gardens, was a major influence for his new club and the goals apart, he made some good passes and movements on and off the ball. Rivoli started the game with more purpose than Boys’ Town and were rewarded early in the first half when Scott finished past Kirk Porter. Burton doubled the lead to put his team 2-0 up, before Thomas pulled back a goal on the stroke of half-time. Scott scored again when he headed home a perfect right-sided cross from Kevin Graham. Boys’ Town’s Nicholson made the game interesting when he scored in the dying moments. Two-goal hero Scott, brought in by Rivoli’s management to replace striker Cory Burke (who is away on a deal in the United States), showed his class. Scott said he is at Rivoli to replace Burke by scoring goals. “Well, it’s a good performance for my new club. I chose to leave Tivoli to replace Burke and the plan is to continue scoring goals and lift Rivoli to safety,” the former Jamaica College Manning Cup winner told The Gleaner. “Coming in for Burke, who scored 10 goals before leaving, is a big task but I’m up to it,” he added. Rivoli’s coach, Mark Williams, praised Scott as a natural goalscorer. “He (Scott) is a good signing for us. And, for him to score two goals in only his second match should help to lift the spirit of the team,”Williams reasoned. Williams also said it was a wonderful win for Rivoli. “It’s been a long time since we have won a game, so this should serve as a big boost. We will next face Tivoli in a rescheduled game on Wednesday,” he added. Boys’ Town’s coach, Andrew Price, said his team was lethargic in the first half, but improved in the second half. – Reno 2 Cavalier SC 0 – Boys’ Town 2 Rivoli United 3 – Humble Lion 3 Portmore United 1 – Arnett Gardens 1 Tivoli Gardens 1 – Waterhouse 0 MoBay Utd 0last_img read more