Govt will not provide additional social aid for COVID-19 hot spot provinces

first_imgAs a response to COVID-19, the government prepared several social aid programs to assist low-income citizens who are hard hit by the outbreak’s economic impact. One of the schemes was the Staple Food Card program, which is aimed at 20 million lower-income families. The program has so far spent 63 percent of its Rp 43 trillion (US$2.8 billion) budget.Aside from the Staple Food Card program, the government has also disbursed financial aid to 10 million low-income families through the Family Hope Program. The program has realized 77.9 percent of its Rp 37.4 trillion budget.“We expect that the two programs will be able to achieve their targets by the end of the year,” Budi said. (dpk) Topics : “We have faith in the consistency our friends in the Social Affairs Ministry have delivered,” Budi said in a press conference on Wednesday. The government is currently focused on flattening the COVID-19 infection curve in nine provinces with the highest transmission rates in the country: Jakarta, West Java, Central Java, East Java, North Sumatra, South Kalimantan, South Sulawesi, Papua and Bali.These provinces have become the government’s priority since they have contributed 75 percent of all COVID-19 cases in Indonesia.“We believe that people in the prioritized provinces will be helped [by the existing programs],” Budi said. The government will not provide additional social aid for the nine provinces hardest hit by COVID-19, economic recovery task force head Budi Gunadi Sadikin said on Wednesday.Budi said social aid that had already been distributed by the Social Affairs Ministry was sufficient to help low-income families, including those who live in the nine provinces. last_img read more

Dolan unsure of future beyond weekend

first_img McDermott’s three-year tenure was ended, along with his assistant Nigel Gibbs, by Reading owner Anton Zingarevich following a four-game losing run that has left the club above last-placed QPR on goals scored only. With nine games remaining there is little time to find a replacement, with former Southampton boss Nigel Adkins and ex-Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio installed as the early favourites to take over. Dolan fronted the media for the first time on Thursday and, as well as refusing to be drawn on who might be tasked with leading the club’s relegation fight, he also said he did not know if a new appointment was likely to be made before the next trip to Arsenal on March 30. Dolan denied Zingarevich would play a part in picking the team for this weekend’s trip to Old Trafford – albeit after a long pause – adding: “Obviously not. He’s asked me to pick the team. “He’s talked to me about the team and trying to get a result – genuinely that is all he has said. I’m excited about going to Old Trafford. Really excited about that.” Dolan has been in regular contact with McDermott since he was axed and revealed the former boss had a simple message for the squad ahead of the trip to Old Trafford. “Brian is a great friend of mine. I’ve spoken to him each day,” he said. “He’s a great man. All he has said is: ‘Good luck, get a result’. All he wants is for Reading to get a result.” Dolan, formerly the head of the Royals’ academy, was handed the temporary reins after Brian McDermott was sacked on Monday. “It’s been a difficult week for everybody,” Dolan said. “The players were on the floor at the start of the week. The owner has asked me to take the team on Saturday. That’s my only thought. That’s the honest answer.” Caretaker manager Eamonn Dolan is unsure whether he will remain in charge of Reading beyond this weekend’s trip to Manchester United.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more