Anscombe proud after French success

first_img Press Association Andrew Trimble crossed for Ulster’s only try on 11 minutes before Ruan Pienaar paved the way for victory with 15 points from his boot. Paddy Jackson also added five points. Ulster had waited 15 matches in the Heineken Cup to beat a French side on their own soil when they edged Castres 9-8 to reach the last-eight last season, but this was a far more impressive triumph to show how much they have grown. Not only did this win move Ulster two points clear of Leicester Tigers – who they beat last week – in Pool Five, but it also prevented Montpellier from taking a point at their own Yves du Manoir stadium. “I’m enormously proud of the boys today, of the way we stuck to our game,” Anscombe said. “We had talked about what we wanted to do and they did just that. “The guys who started and the bench stuck to our plan. The defence was outstanding, we accumulated points, our kicking game was great and our chasing completed it to make it that way. “To come here and beat them, and inflict their first home defeat this year, and by nearly 20 points – it’s a pretty great occasion for our boys. “A lot of our kicks were contested and we put them under pressure under those kicks, regained possession. “That’s what you want to do. They have a big team and we wanted to turn them around, prevent them from getting some go forward. We didn’t want to give them early targets so they could put us on the back foot. “We had looked at we thought we needed to do. They have a massive back and good backs, so the key for us was not to give them some front-foot ball. Ulster coach Mark Anscombe was “enormously proud” of his players after they claimed their biggest Heineken Cup win on French soil 25-8 over Montpellier. “We wanted to turn their big guys around, make them work hard, make them have to get back to do the work. It can be hard for the big boys to do that and that’s we achieved.” Montpellier coach Fabien Galthie, whose team had opened with an away win in Italy over Benetton Treviso, was unhappy at the way his team failed to get to grips with the occasion and the opposition. “I knew that a team like Ulster was certainly capable of hurting us,” he said. “We played with a couple of young, inexperienced players who had never played at this level. It was one of those days where, if the smallest thing doesn’t go your way, it can get pretty ugly. “That was the case today, a lot of things didn’t go our way. “We are now in a very tough position for qualification. We have to be realistic, it is going to be complicated for us.” last_img read more

Warner pulls out of Hundred, ECB delays season start

first_imgDAVID Warner has cited a scheduling clash and family time as the reasons behind his decision to withdraw from the inaugural edition of The Hundred in the UK later this year.The tournament is due to run from July 17 to August 15, though with the England and Wales Cricket Board’s decision on Friday to delay the beginning of its domestic season until May 28 at the earliest due to the coronavirus pandemic, there could well be knock-on effects for The Hundred.Warner’s withdrawal from the tournament is unrelated to COVID-19; cricket.com.au has been shown an email exchange between the 33-year-old’s management and The Hundred organisers from early this month regarding his decision to pull out.“I was excited to participate in The Hundred’s inaugural season with the Southern Braves, though with the latest updates to the Cricket Australia schedule in the middle part of 2020, and due to the exceptionally busy cricketing programme over the last 12 months, I have decided to put my family first and spend this time of the year with them,” Warner said in a statement that was prepared prior to the coronavirus being declared a pandemic.Warner will instead make himself available for Australia’s currently unscheduled home limited-overs series with Zimbabwe, set for August. The move represents a turnaround on his stance in January, when his manager James Erskine said Warner would be prioritising The Hundred ahead of the international series given no dates for the Zimbabwe series had been set and a commitment to the UK-based tournament had already been made.The ECB’s decision to delay the beginning of their home summer came two days after it suspended all recreational cricket. The County Championship was due to start on April 12 and the T20 Blast is to start on May 29 but the ECB said work has begun on possible revised schedules to begin in June, July or August.The opening England international of the season is on June 4 against West Indies at The Oval, the first of three Tests.Australia are scheduled to arrive for three T20 and three ODI matches against England from July 3.The governing body approved a seven-week delay to the start of the 2020 season following discussions with the first-class counties, the MCC and the Professional Cricketers’ Association.“The decision to delay the start of the season has been essential, given the circumstances the nation faces,” ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said.Warner is the first marquee player to withdraw from The Hundred, with Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Aaron Finch, Adam Zampa, Dan Christian, Glenn Maxwell, D’Arcy Short, Chris Lynn, and Nathan Coulter-Nile the other Australians signed on to be involved. (AAP)last_img read more

Rio2 is playing at the Wellington Regent Theater this weekend

first_imgThis week at the Regent Theater: “Rio2” (Movie trailer is below).When: Friday 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 2 and 7 p.m.Rated: G. Time: 1 hour 41 minutes.Movie Synopsis: It’s a jungle out there for Blu, Jewel and their three kids in RIO 2, after they’re hurtled from that magical city to the wilds of the Amazon. As Blu tries to fit in, he goes beak-to-beak with the vengeful Nigel, and meets the most fearsome adversary of all – his father-in-law.All our favorite RIO characters are back, and they’re joined by Oscar (R) nominee Andy Garcia, Grammy (R) winner Bruno Mars, Tony (R) winner Kristin Chenoweth and Oscar/Emmy (R)/Tony winner Rita Moreno. RIO 2 also features new Brazilian artists and original music by Janelle Monae and Wondaland. (c) FoxRotten Tomatoes rating (movie critics collective approval ratings): 47%. Audience review: 65% approval.Movies ahead at Regent Theater:The Other WomanGodzillaSpider-Man 2last_img read more