FC Barcelona striker Luis Suarez set to leave Barcelona

first_imgMADRID: FC Barcelona striker Luis Suarez looks to be on his way out of the club after local radio station RAC1 reported that new coach Ronald Koeman has told the Uruguayan that he doesn’t form a part of his plans for the coming season.The radio station, which has very close links to the club, reported that Koeman phoned Suarez this Monday and gave him the news in a brief conversation. Suarez’s contract at the Camp Nou is due to expire at the end of June 2021 and the 33-year-old’s lawyers will presumably speak to the club to try to rescind that deal to allow him to become a free agent. Suarez arrived at Barcelona in 2014 from Liverpool and he has since scored 198 goals and given 109 assists in 283 appearances to become the third-highest scorer in the history of the club. RAC1 broke this news just two days after Suarez spoke to Spanish newspaper El Pais to say that “nobody” had discussed his future with him. “It would be good if the person in charge speaks directly to me. My idea today is to continue, but if the club decides that I am expendable, I have no problem talking,” he commented, adding that he wanted to “continue contributing everything I can,” and that he would have no problem if he had to be a substitute. While Suarez looks to have one foot out of the door at Barcelona, left-back Jordi Alba’s future looks more secure after RAC1 revealed that Koeman had informed the 31-year-old Spain international he wanted him in next season’s squad. IANS Also Watch: Koch-Rajbongshi groups meet with CM to discuss their Demands.last_img read more

Alumni, staff donate masks

first_imgUntil there are no longer any supply shortages, Won said the organization will continue to provide necessary PPE to medical facilities across L.A.  When 2019 alumnus Thomas Won volunteered at LAC + USC Medical Center last March at an inpatient unit, he saw firsthand some of the personal protective equipment and mask shortages that were beginning to occur in Los Angeles hospitals. Immediately after this experience, Won began planning on how to provide N95 and KN95 masks to health care providers on the front lines.  “For us, it’s more really just a privilege that we’re able to do this,” Won said. “We don’t ask for their thanks or anything. We know that they’re in need, so we’re just trying to fill in that gap. We’re just trying to step up and do what we can.” Now, Won and the organization GetUsPPE LA provide PPE to medical facilities in underserved areas throughout L.A. County where there are larger clusters of coronavirus cases. There are now more than 15,000 confirmed cases in the county. Since information regarding PPE required by these facilities is not publicly available, the team contacts health care facilities to find out their requirements. So far, they have delivered to more than 40 health care facilities, including a couple of hospitals in Orange County that were in immediate need.  “What stirred me up was that people were selling masks for their own profit or trying to get masks and buying them right away,” Park said. “I [think] the need was more for our health care workers or people that are actually in contact on a daily basis with possible patients or other people that might be carriers.”  The team has already delivered resources to over 40 health care facilities including some hospitals in Orange County that were in immediate need. (Photo courtesy of GetUsPPE LA) Before formally creating GetUsPPE LA, Won started a GoFundMe page to raise funds and buy supplies like medical gowns and goggles, which are difficult for the general public to provide. In one week, he was able to raise $11,000. In addition to collecting donations, Won’s parents, who are in the wholesale business, managed to work with contacts in China to source supplies from overseas. To begin the distribution chain, Won contacts the import coordinator to request certain supplies, like KN95 masks. The donation team then vets the supplies and manufacturers, checking their certifications and ensuring both the manufacturer and the PPE it makes have FDA approval. The initial GoFundMe that Won created to raise funds is now part of a section on the GetUsPPE LA website that informs users who are unable to donate PPE on how they can still contribute. Park, while understanding the public’s initial fear surrounding the virus, said she did not understand why many were hoarding masks for themselves and seemingly forgetting the health care workers who face the virus every day. “It’s been really inspiring to just see all the people out there that are doing efforts around getting PPE to health care heroes,” said Manley, who has worked primarily on marketing and outreach efforts. “There’s just so many people and organizations that have stepped up to help out, which is super inspiring, especially given how challenging it can be these days.”  After realizing that it could take up to seven to 10 days to receive a shipment of masks from overseas, he considered developing a local donation system. While setting it up, Won contacted GetUsPPE, a national coalition for grassroots efforts to collect donated PPE. A logistics coordinator from GetUsPPE was able to connect Won with Christian Manley, a marketing administrator at USC Bovard College.  Won said the team reached out to the general public to get volunteers willing to pick up PPE from homes and other businesses. Jessica Park, a 2017 alumna who serves as the donation coordinator and one of the project planners, has been working on the fundraising team since the last week of March. She joined when Won told her about the shortage problem he had seen while volunteering and his idea for fundraising.  “We don’t know when coronavirus will end,” Won said. “We don’t know when this PPE shortage will be met. It’s unpredictable — there’s no timeline. Until we hear that [health care workers are] doing okay with PPE shortages, it will be until then that we continue this effort.”last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Friday, Aug. 22 – Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014

first_imgSunday, August 24, 20142:20 a.m.  Officers investigated a battery by a known suspect in the 100 block of N. Washington.•2:45 a.m. Officers investigated an aggravated assault in the 1100 block of E. Lincoln.•3:18 a.m. Officers investigated an aggravated assault in the 1100 block of E. Lincoln.•Juvenile male, 17, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 64 mph in a 50 mph zone and operating a motor vehicle without proof of insurance.•10:20 p.m. Officers investigated suspicious activity in the 700 block of N. Blaine. Wellington Police notes for Friday, August 22 – Sunday, August 24:Friday, August 22, 2014•4:15 a.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 800 block S. C, Wellington.•9:47 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of checks in the 1400 block N. Washington, Wellington.•10:32 a.m. Officers investigated a theft of currency in the 1000 block of W. 8th.•11:10 a.m. Juvenile female, 16, Wellington was arrested and confined on a commitment to sanctions house court through Sumner County for probation violation.•1:05 p.m. Cara M. Appelhans, 35, Wellington was arrested and confined on a warrant through the city of Oxford.•2:13 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 500 block N. Plum, Wellington.•2:34 p.m. On August 14, 2014 Officers investigated a theft in the 1400 block N. Washington, Wellington. Property was recovered and returned to owner.•2:40 p.m. Hunter M. Gaddie, 20, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with possession of alcohol by underage adult.•8:20 p.m. Officers made a, courtesy motor vehicle non-injury accident report on private property, in the 1000 block of N. A., involving a vehicle operated by Caitlin B. Jordan, 21, Kountze,Texas and a parked and unoccupied vehicle owned by Michael L. Spencer, Wellington. Saturday, August 23, 2014•10:20 a.m. Brenda S. Cadenhead, 53, Wichita, was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 43 mph in a 30 mph zone (radar) and expired drivers license.•5:25 p.m. Officers investigated suspicious activity in the 1400 block of superior court.•8:41 p.m. Officers investigated a dog bite and was impounded in the 1300 block of N. B.•10:07 p.m. Officers investigated a sexual battery in the 200 block of W. 4th.•10:44 p.m. Officers investigated domestic battery and criminal damage to property in the 300 block of E. 15th.•11:25 p.m. Matthew R. Deason, 34, Wellington was arrested, confined and eventually bonded on charges charges of domestic battery and criminal damage to property.last_img read more