US immigration urged to grant protection to threatened journalist who fled across border

first_img Reporters Without Borders urges the US immigration authorities to grant an emergency residence permit – followed as soon as possible by political asylum – to Ricardo Chávez Aldana, a radio journalist based in the northern border city of Ciudad Juárez, who was forced to flee across the border with his family to the Texan city of El Paso on 10 December.“The US immigration authorities must be aware of the level of violence in Ciudad Juárez, which has affected security on the US side of the border as well,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Chávez and his family would probably have been murdered if they had not rushed to cross the border. Reporting is a high-risk job when you cover organised crime and Chávez is not the first journalists to opt for exile, and will not the last one. For the sake of his safety, he must be allowed to enter the United States when necessary.”Chávez, who works for Radio Cañon, fled with his mother, wife and son across the border to El Paso after getting a series of phone calls threatening his family, several Mexican newspapers said. On 9 December, the day before he fled, he reported on the air that two of his nephews, Diego and Argenis Chávez Luis, aged 15 and 17 respectively, were among four youths who had just been killed in a shooting in Ciudad Juárez. In his report, he condemned the failure of the authorities to arrest those responsible and the freedom with which gunmen operate in the city.Initially determined to defy the threats, Chávez changed his mind and decided to flee although he does not have a passport. “Before crossing the border with my family, I knew we would be arrested by the immigration authorities but it is better to be locked up than dead,” he told Radio Cañon colleagues by telephone from the US side of the border, according to a report in the newspaper La Jornada.Chávez’s story recalls that of Emilio Gutiérrez Soto, the correspondent of the regional newspaper El Diario, who fled across the border on 15 June 2008 after being threatened by the Mexican army and was held until 29 January 2009 in a detention centre in El Paso. News Receive email alerts News May 5, 2021 Find out more April 28, 2021 Find out more NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say MexicoAmericas RSF_en News Organisation 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Gutiérrez is now living in the United States, where Reporters Without Borders has been supporting his attempts to obtain asylum.Two other Ciudad Juárez journalists went into exile last year because they were under threat. They are Horacio Nájera, a reporter for the daily Reforma, who has been in Canada since October 2008, and Jorge Luis Aguirre of the online newspaper La Polaka, who fled across the border to El Paso the following month. Help by sharing this information May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Mexico Reports December 15, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 US immigration urged to grant protection to threatened journalist who fled across border MexicoAmericas Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state to go furtherlast_img read more

Cotton Update

first_imgEnd-of-year rainfall and poor harvest conditions have been tough on Georgia’s cotton crop and tested Georgia’s cotton farmers, says University of Georgia Cooperative Extension’s new cotton agronomist.“The rain and extended periods of cloudy weather hurt much of the crop when it was just starting to open. Much of the earlier maturing portions of the crop suffered from weathering and worse-than-normal boll rot,” said Jared Whitaker, who assumed the post at the UGA Tifton Campus on Dec. 1, 2015. Inclement weather throughout the harvest season delayed the cotton harvest statewide. The recent rain on Wednesday, Dec. 2, 2015, sidelined some Georgia producers who were unable to pick their crop, though it has been ready to harvest for quite some time. According to UGA’s Georgia Automated Environmental Monitoring Network, the UGA Tifton Campus recorded 1.81 inches that day, and UGA’s C.M. Stripling Irrigation Research Park logged 1.80 inches. Last week’s heavy rains followed downpours on Nov. 18 and 19, which also helped to delay harvesting. Despite the recent rainfall over the past three weeks, Whitaker is optimistic about the progress that producers have made in getting their crop out of the field.“The fact that we’re still picking some cotton and the fact that very few people are done, compared to last year, there is no doubt we’re later. In general, though, we normally pick cotton in December,” Whitaker said.Though the quality of Georgia’s cotton crop may be low, Whitaker is still hopeful about the state’s total production. However, cotton prices are a different matter.“The U.S. Department of Agriculture has us pegged at 995 pounds per acre, which would be the second-largest crop we’ve ever made. I tend to agree with it. But you don’t hear the normal optimism associated with a crop of this size due to cotton prices. We needed a big crop just to attempt to remain profitable, and the excitement isn’t there,” Whitaker said. Cotton prices are currently 63 cents per pound, far below the 80 to 85 cents producers strive for. “We certainly didn’t make the high-end crop that we sometimes make. We didn’t have a lot of three-plus bale cotton from that weathering. But the dryland cotton was very strong in a lot of places. There’s a lot of 1,000-pound or better cotton, which is really good,” Whitaker added.While the question of whether prices will improve still weighs on farmers’ minds, so does concern over when the entire crop will be harvested. Whitaker estimates approximately 80 percent of Georgia’s cotton crop is out of the field. Compared to last year when almost every producer was done harvesting by Thanksgiving, Georgia is late this year. “We could be much further behind, but growers have worked extremely hard to get this far. Last year was just an extremely unique year,” Whitaker said. “If we could get another week or two of sunshine, we would certainly make some more headway. I think with two more weeks, we’ll be close to done.”For more information about Georgia’s cotton crop, visit ugacotton.com.last_img read more

Pardew: Zaha has to raise his game

first_img Sir Alex Ferguson paid £10m to sign Zaha in January 2013 but the Scot retired that summer and Zaha fell out of favour under both David Moyes and Louis van Gaal. “That’s a big environment for a young footballer to go into – Manchester United and all the pressure that you’re under and the competition. “Sometimes you just can’t break through and I think he was a case of that. “You have to start again in a way and that’s what he’s doing with us.” Pardew added: “Jason Puncheon’s an example, he’s somebody that I took to Southampton when nobody really wanted him. “I always believed in his technical ability but what I find now is a player who has this inner confidence. “That’s what Wilf has got to gain – he’s got to gain that inner belief that he can play at this level and deal with whoever the full-back is, whether he’s an international or a second-string player. “He needs to know he’s going to have a good day against him – that’s the standard he needs to get to.” “I hope I can get him back to his best but those games weren’t in the Premier League,” Pardew said. “It’s a higher standard and he’s going to have to raise his game because we’ve got real competition in that area of the team at the moment. “Obviously he didn’t start at Everton – this isn’t the Championship where he was a star. “This is a level up and he needs to be a star at this level.” Zaha has been in and out of the Palace starting line-up this season and despite some encouraging performances, he has scored only once in 19 games. “What does he need to improve? Concentration – his concentration when the opposition have the ball – his final product and his desire to improve,” Pardew said. “Those are the three areas and I see the latter one in him – I think if you’ve got that then you’ve got a chance of putting everything right. “He wants to be a top player and he’s going to have much easier access to the first team than he did at Man United so he’s definitely got a great chance.” Crystal Palace manager Alan Pardew has told Wilfried Zaha to forget about his Championship success with the club, insisting the winger needs to raise his game if he wants to make it in the top flight. Zaha made his loan stay at Palace permanent on the last day of the transfer window, re-signing from Manchester United for an initial fee of £3million. The 22-year-old made just four first-team appearances at Old Trafford and struggled to reproduce the displays that saw him named Championship Player of the Year in 2013. Press Associationlast_img read more