Government revamps post-16 education to make it more relevant to employers

first_img Comments are closed. Secretary of State for Education and Skills Charles Clarke has promised morejoined-up thinking for the post-16 years education and training sector, andless bureaucracy. His plans were announced as details were released to make the ModernApprentice (MA) scheme more attractive to employers by making skills morerelevant and flexible. Addressing the Association of Learning Providers’ Partners in Learning 2003conference, Clarke said: “A diverse and strong provider base is vital toour plans in the post-16 sector to allow all our young people to reach theirpotential, to give those whose main-stream education has failed, a vital secondchance and lay firm foundations for lifelong learning.” He drew attention to the employers’ agenda. “A high-quality, crediblenetwork of work-based learning providers is essential to ensure employers’skills needs are understood and training is in place to meet them,” hetold delegates at the conference in Birmingham last month. The DfES is pressing on with its promotion of Modern Apprenticeships and hasset targets of 28 per cent of 16-21 year olds entering the scheme by 2004/05.Latest estimates show it will have achieved 99 per cent of its interim targetsfor 2002/03 with 149,000 young people being part of the system. It has promised to work with the new employer-led MA Taskforce to promotethe scheme and steer their future development. Speaking after the conference, deputy chairman of the new taskforce IanFerguson said employers still perceived MAs as being too bureaucratic andinflexible .” Ferguson, chairman of software company Data Connection, wants to seeemployers take their own initiative to develop MA models which would then be approvedby Sector Skills Councils “But the first thing to do is improveawareness,” he said. “And we need to do more work to make them moreflexible.” Ferguson said it is recognised that many young people need extra support.”In August the new Entry to Employment programme will be rolled outnationally, ” he said. “This is for disadvantaged and disaffectedyoung people to gain the skills needed to progress to Foundation MAs,employment or further vocational learning.” Clarke had outlined the need for bureaucracy to be pruned – a challengehanded to the chairman of the Bureaucracy Taskforce, Sir George Sweeney, whowill draw up recommendation for work-based learning providers following similarwork last year on Further Education colleges. “The aim is to try to identify those things the system generates whichare not serving the interests of young people,” Sweeney told TrainingMagazine. “The more pounds we can push down to the frontline, thebetter,” he said. Sweeney’s department will set up a ‘star chamber’ of regulations, publishits conclusions and produce a final report in March 2004. By Stephanie Sparrow Related posts:No related photos. Government revamps post-16 education to make it more relevant to employersOn 1 Jun 2003 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Articlelast_img read more

Saudi opens haj registration for foreign residents

first_imgThe registration process will be open until Friday, it added.Saudi citizens will make up the remaining 30 percent of the pilgrims, with the ritual restricted to medical professionals and security personnel who have recovered from the virus, the ministry said.”They will be selected through the database of those who have recovered from the virus,” the ministry said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency.The pilgrims will be tested for coronavirus before arriving in the holy city of Mecca and are required to quarantine at home after the ritual, according to health officials. Saudi Arabia on Monday opened haj registration for foreign residents in the kingdom, saying they will make up 70 percent of the pilgrims after it scaled-back the annual ritual due to coronavirus.Saudi Arabia has said it will allow only around 1,000 pilgrims already present in the kingdom to participate in this year’s haj, scheduled for the end of July, a far cry from the 2.5 million who attended the five-day pilgrimage last year.Foreign residents, aged between 20 and 65 who have no previous health ailments such as diabetes and heart conditions, are allowed to register on https://localhaj.haj.gov.sa., the haj ministry said. Topics :center_img Last month, Saudi Arabia announced it would hold a “very limited” haj, a decision fraught with political and economic peril as it battles a coronavirus surge.The decision to exclude pilgrims arriving from outside Saudi Arabia is a first in the kingdom’s modern history and has sparked disappointment among Muslims worldwide, although many accepted it was necessary due to the health risks involved.Saudi Arabia has so far reported more than 213,000 coronavirus infections — the highest in the Gulf — and nearly 2,000 deaths.last_img read more

Governor Wolf Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Education Funding

first_img Education,  Press Release,  Schools That Teach,  Statement Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today released a statement regarding equitable education funding in Pennsylvania following the Supreme Court’s ruling.“Today’s ruling presents an opportunity to further assure that students in Pennsylvania have access to a fair education system regardless of their zip code,” Governor Wolf said. “While we have made progress to invest hundreds of millions more in our schools and enact a fair funding formula that takes into account the needs of students in their districts, we know more must be done. This ruling validates my long-held position that the commonwealth must further examine the equity and adequacy of public school funding.”Governor Wolf has steadfastly fought to address education funding in Pennsylvania, especially for struggling and disadvantaged districts, having secured more than $800 million in new funding in the past three years alone. Governor Wolf Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Education Funding September 28, 2017center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

South Regional Broward County Library hosts Anancy Festival

first_imgThe South Regional Broward County Library will host their annual Anancy Festival on Saturday, June 17, 2017 at 1”00 PM.The program will feature Caribbean and African cultural experiences including a drumming fingers demonstration, games, songs, arts & crafts, face painting, storytelling, refreshments and more.The Anancy Festival, named for Anansi the Spider, the West African trickster of folklore, is a celebration of Caribbean-American culture that’s geared toward children and teens. The festival provides a unique way for youngsters to learn about their cultural heritage and experience a rich collection of stories, music and dance.The South Regional – BC Library is located at 7300 Pines Blvd. in Pembroke Pines,last_img read more

It’s Not Your Phone…Cell Service is Out Across the Nation

first_imgA large number of mobile phone users in South Florida and other cities around the country are angrily reporting problems with their cellphone services Monday afternoon.Companies with troubled connections included T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon. A large number of outages are concentrated in major cities such as Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, New York, Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles, according to online cell service tracker DownDetector.“Our engineers are working to resolve a voice and data issue that has been affecting customers around the country. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and hope to have this fixed shortly,” wrote Neville Ray, president of technology at T-Mobile on Twitter. “Our engineers are working to resolve a voice and data issue that has been affecting customers around the country. We’re sorry for the inconvenience and hope to have this fixed shortly,” wrote Neville Ray, president of technology at T-Mobile on Twitter.A Verizon spokesperson said that DownDetector was falsely reporting network issues, though they were “aware that another network carrier is having network issues.”DownDetector began receiving reports of issues with T-Mobile at 12:42 p.m Monday. Around 3:01 p.m., the service tracker had 113,980 reports of T-Mobile outages nationwide. Reports have fallen to 31,549, as of 5:22 p.m.The website also recorded 1,548 reports of outages for Sprint, which recently merged with T-Mobile, and 7,574 reports for Verizon, as of 5:20 p.m.last_img read more